opinion on saltwater from LFS

MasonHoff

I can't comment on where the best saltwater is from but I do want to mention a couple things. I bought my saltwater for a few years until just recently. The biggest problem I had was inconsistent salinity, usually too lean, even once they gave me fresh water by accident! That would've been a disaster if I didn't check the salinity of each jug before use. Also the water can be freshly mixed when you buy it, and it's usually a good idea for it to mix many hours before use for ph and such. The only other thing is the temp was frequently way off of my tank's temp by the time I got home from the weather. Not a problem if you let the water sit a while. Anyway, I'm sure you're going to be fine wherever you get it from, and it's so convenient, just wanted to mention you want to check salinity each time and temp. That's all I ever checked, maybe ph sometimes too.

I agree with Kim. I did however buy my saltwater from RCA and Aquatek before making my own. Just make sure you check the parameters of each jug. A good test is to dip your finger in the water and taste it. You'll know right away if you have salt water or ro water.

Dave-

haha. thats a good way to test your water :) does anybody like one over the other with out throwing any one store under the bus. some told me for reefing i need to get tropic marin from RCA

I agree with Kim. I did however buy my saltwater from RCA and Aquatek before making my own. Just make sure you check the parameters of each jug. A good test is to dip your finger in the water and taste it. You'll know right away if you have salt water or ro water.

Dave-

Edited by MasonHoff

anybody? bout to head out for water

haha. thats a good way to test your water :) does anybody like one over the other with out throwing any one store under the bus. some told me for reefing i need to get tropic marin from RCA

Dave-

Biggest thing I think is consistancy, don't get it from different places, start with one and stick with one, I got my setup from shane at fishy business, so that's where I always get my water from. But id imagine ud be good as long as they use a salt mix that contains trace elements.

So the tropic marin from RCA was 1.025 on thier instrament! alot nicer than my instant ocean hydrometer! mine registered 1.027 which is what i heard was they always ran a lil higher! but im glad you guys told me to check temp! It was 89.8 after 30 min of being home in my 70 degree house! and the water was inside my truck on the way home! that would have mostly likey ruined the 5 sps in my tank! (4 are seriatopora and one acro) Im so glad im OCD! j/j

I did the same. I would like to mention that it is cheaper to get an RO/DI unit and make your own.

For my first month or two I bought SW from RCA, just their Instant Ocean for 1$/gal and never had any problems.

I bought a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro salt at their xmas sale in '09 and have been making my own SW ever since.

If you get the salt on sale, or in a group buy, it should cost you about $50 for a bucket that makes 175gal. (This is for Coral Pro, you can certainly get coralife or instant ocean cheaper).

That comes out to about .30/gal for the salt, and I buy RO for $1 per 5gal jug. So I'm essentially only spending .50/gal of what I consider to be higher end SW, which is half of what the LFS charge for their cheaper saltwater. I know I could cut my cost even more by making my own RO, but I live in an apartment and don't feel like setting up an RO system right now.

I mix mine in the 5gal jugs 2 days before my water changes, so I don't need any specialized equip.

And I test my water the same as Dave, just dip a finger and see if it tastes salty or not. Sometimes I forget which of my jugs have SW in them and which are just plain RO.