Removing frag plugs from live rock?

Mindflux

I bought my Solana and some live rock off a member here recently and I'm just starting to get it all up and running.

There are a couple sections of LR that have frag plugs glued into them and I was wondering if there were any easy ways to remove them without destroying the LR pieces? I'd rather not split the rock.

yCABR.jpg

You can see one in this pic in the upper right section. Excuse my poor aqua scaping, I was just putting the LR in to get a feel for how the rock will look in there.

RotaryGeek makes a good point. However, if the perfect circles bother you, it looks like the plugs have been mounted using Aqua-Mend or a similar putty. If that's the case, they should pull off with a good pair of channel-lock pliers.

RotaryGeek makes a good point. However, if the perfect circles bother you, it looks like the plugs have been mounted using Aqua-Mend or a similar putty. If that's the case, they should pull off with a good pair of channel-lock pliers.

It's more that it sticks out like a sore thumb right now then the fact it's a perfect circle. If it'll purple up with time I'll probably just leave it. Now I need a quick lesson in aquascaping.

I would stay away from pliers, the oil used to lubricate them can't be cleaned off before you put it in the tank and will come off in the tank at least a little. to get mine off I've used a screwdriver on a few bits that have a suitable space to pry, otherwise remove it from the aquarium and use a hammer.

If you just leave it be, it may take a while but things will grow over it and you can use the old plugs as places to put new ones, so it will eventually be covered up.

I would stay away from pliers, the oil used to lubricate them can't be cleaned off before you put it in the tank and will come off in the tank at least a little.

Yep, made the assumption that the rock could be removed from the tank, but should have specified. Good catch, J.

I would stay away from pliers, the oil used to lubricate them can't be cleaned off before you put it in the tank and will come off in the tank at least a little.

Yep, made the assumption that the rock could be removed from the tank, but should have specified. Good catch, J.

I'd never put metal in the tank (knowingly)... :) Thanks !

Well I wouldn't go that far. I recently used a stainless steel screwdriver in mine... just had to wash it with soap and water then rinse a bunch of times to be sure any grease was off, then really make sure it's stainless. The thing with pliers is that there's lubricant where the two halves meet that won't come off with a simple wash... and if it does come off the pliers will seize up.

Well I wouldn't go that far. I recently used a stainless steel screwdriver in mine... just had to wash it with soap and water then rinse a bunch of times to be sure any grease was off, then really make sure it's stainless. The thing with pliers is that there's lubricant where the two halves meet that won't come off with a simple wash... and if it does come off the pliers will seize up.

Meh. I'll leave it up to pump makers and so on and so forth to determine metal rated safe for aquariums.. I'm not gonna go out of my way to find things tank safe when it's easier to just yank out a piece of LR and work on it and toss it back in.