Zeovit + biopellets?

ramsey

Is anybody doing this? I've read about some people that are but thought I'd see if anyone local has done this. I'm already running biopellets but wanted to start using some of the zeovit stuff as well.

Thanks for that, it's good to know there's some science behind carbon dosing. :) I've been running biopellets for a while now and I don't think I'd ever run a tank without them. I've had no detectable nitrated and phosphates the entire time I've ran them. SPS seem to benefit the most. Most LPS and softies that I've seen actually do slightly worse with the BP's. I'm curious about using some of the Zeovit supplements in addition to the BP's and skip using the zeolite media, since BP's should provide the fuel for bacteria growth.

I'd have to say even though Feldman's research did show the basic concept could be supported after reading his research it's just not worth bothering with. The control samples in his research showed similar results as the treated samples and when a treated tank was monitored no changes could be detected.

I'd have to say even though Feldman's research did show the basic concept could be supported after reading his research it's just not worth bothering with. The control samples in his research showed similar results as the treated samples and when a treated tank was monitored no changes could be detected.

In the conclusion he mentioned that carbon dosing does work. I already run a biopellet reactor and it's well worth it. I constantly battled high nitrates and phosphates in my tank before and they been close to 0 the whole time I've run biopellets. I would not run an SPS tank without them. My question is less about biopellets, which I'm a firm believer in, and more about using Zeovit supplements. I'm just not ure which to use or to stay away from (if any at all) since I'm using biopellets and not Zeovit rocks. I'd like to start using the Zeovit stuff since I've seen so many good results online with coral growth and coloration.

Thanks for the info though. I do understand some of the concerns but I have to go with what I've seen first hand with carbon dosing. I will say that it would be overkill for a non-SPS tank.

If you want to dabble with zeo products, here is what I would suggest:

First, if your corals are not dark, stay away from B Balance and ZeoSpur.

Zeo Start 2 and 3 are carbon sources and you do not need that.

Food7 - Coral food/bacteria food-I think this is a useless or of little use supplement. Don't buy this one either

Coral Vitalizer and Sponge Power - Dose 4 drops of each 3-4 times per week in a 100 gallon system. If you have a bad case of majanos or aptasia, don't use Sponge Power. It is rumored to aggravate growth of those pests. Otherwise, these two are two of the cornerstones of the Zeo regimen. I like them and feel like they are part of the success I had with zeo.

Pohl's Xtra Special - This is my second most favorite after the Coral Vitalizer and Sponge Power supplements. 3mL twice per week. Helps with reds.

Potassium/Iodine/Fluoride- 4-6 drops 2-3 times per week. This will bring up your blues and purples

Coral Snow-waste of time

Jod Complex-Another iodine supplement. Good for purples

Amino Acids-2-6 drops 2-3 times per week. IF you polyps are dark, discontinue using amino acids. If your corals are light, use more.

So there it is. Coral Vitalizer, Sponge Power, Iodine in some form, and Pohl's Xtra Special That's my team of zeo favorites.

There are users running both zeolites and biopellets. There is the danger of OVER CLEANING the water. Zero nutrients is not the goal and if there is any question, just come look at how I killed about $3000 worth of colonies when I took the tank near zero on nutrients. It has taken me several months to diagnose this and at this point, I am certain that you can crash a tank trying to get to ZERO PHOSPHATE. So, learn from me...zero is not the goal in ULNS systems. If you are successful with biopellets, stick with it, but don't add additional carbon/bacteria systmes running concurrently or you WILL crash your tank and it will likely make you cry!