Ecotech Coral Glue

Mindflux

I was considering getting some of this to glue my LR together and to deal with frags (when that time comes), but to be honest what am I going to use 10 freakin ounces of glue on? It's got a 2 year shelf life.

Does anyone think it would be feasible to get some small bottles from a craft store to split up the original bottle? Would anyone be interested in 2 ounce bottles? The price for 10 oz (9.97 really) is $50. So if I split the bottle 2oz would run $10 plus whatever the container cost me. (So lets say $12 at most). You may think $12 is expensive for 2 oz of glue, but even the BRS Gel Superglue (which I just bought) cost me over $5 for an ounce. So if this stuff sets up quicker than your typical superglue.. it's not too badly priced.

If there's no interest, perhaps one other person would like to do a 50/50 split... like I said I'll never use 10oz. (sure, I say that now.. anyway)

If you are unsure what I'm talking about:

http://ecotechmarine.com/coralglue/

Also our own mcallahan has done a review of it on his Mr. SaltwaterTank TV. It seems pretty darn impressive, especially the fact you can apply it under water. You can see his review here: http://www.youtube.com/mrsaltwatertank#p/a/u/0/nmjqpJzZkd0

Not sure but you may find that it take more glue than you expected. Good rock is very porous. But then again, I don't know the constitency of the glue. . . so I could be flat wrong!

Just something to think about.

Dave-

Not sure but you may find that it take more glue than you expected. Good rock is very porous. But then again, I don't know the constitency of the glue. . . so I could be flat wrong!

Just something to think about.

Dave-

Dave, I generally go "overboard" and buy things in as much "bulk" quantity as I can afford when it comes to consumable items. Though I just can't see myself using 10oz of glue in 2 years on a 34 gallon tank. I could be entirely wrong of course..

Just throwing the option out there for other people that may want to try this glue but also don't think they need 10oz.

I was considering getting some of this to glue my LR together and to deal with frags (when that time comes), but to be honest what am I going to use 10 freakin ounces of glue on? It's got a 2 year shelf life.

Does anyone think it would be feasible to get some small bottles from a craft store to split up the original bottle? Would anyone be interested in 2 ounce bottles? The price for 10 oz (9.97 really) is $50. So if I split the bottle 2oz would run $10 plus whatever the container cost me. (So lets say $12 at most). You may think $12 is expensive for 2 oz of glue, but even the BRS Gel Superglue (which I just bought) cost me over $5 for an ounce. So if this stuff sets up quicker than your typical superglue.. it's not too badly priced.

If there's no interest, perhaps one other person would like to do a 50/50 split... like I said I'll never use 10oz. (sure, I say that now.. anyway)

Also our own mcallahan has done a review of it on his Mr. SaltwaterTank TV. It seems pretty darn impressive, especially the fact you can apply it under water. You can see his review here: http://www.youtube.c...u/0/nmjqpJzZkd0

Having used the stuff for a couple of months now, I can say that I think you'd end up wasting a lot of it by trying to split up. The stuff is super sticky and doesn't flow like regular super glue. If you tried to split it up, you'd probably lose a lot of it on utensils and in the original bottle.

Plus you'd be losing one of the major benefits of it which is the no clog cap. Whomever kept the original bottle would retain that benefit, but everyone else would lose out.

Will you use up 295mL over 2 yrs on a 34G tank, probably not. If you get your corals to grow really fast and you frag them like crazy - maybe. But I promise you in 2 yrs, you won't have that 34 anymore. You'll upgrade and use the glue on the new rock/corals.

For me, I hope I never run out because I know when I do run out, that'll be right when I need it most. It always happens that way!

All that being said, since I'm a dealer for EcoTech gear, if a couple of people want to pick up some bottles, I can see about arranging a deal.

Also our own mcallahan has done a review of it on his Mr. SaltwaterTank TV. It seems pretty darn impressive, especially the fact you can apply it under water. You can see his review here: http://www.youtube.c...u/0/nmjqpJzZkd0

Having used the stuff for a couple of months now, I can say that I think you'd end up wasting a lot of it by trying to split up. The stuff is super sticky and doesn't flow like regular super glue. If you tried to split it up, you'd probably lose a lot of it on utensils and in the original bottle.

Plus you'd be losing one of the major benefits of it which is the no clog cap. Whomever kept the original bottle would retain that benefit, but everyone else would lose out.

Will you use up 295mL over 2 yrs on a 34G tank, probably not. If you get your corals to grow really fast and you frag them like crazy - maybe. But I promise you in 2 yrs, you won't have that 34 anymore. You'll upgrade and use the glue on the new rock/corals.

For me, I hope I never run out because I know when I do run out, that'll be right when I need it most. It always happens that way!

All that being said, since I'm a dealer for EcoTech gear, if a couple of people want to pick up some bottles, I can see about arranging a deal.

Well I'd just use the original bottle to dispense into new bottles. As for a no clog cap, assuming the glue is as good as you say it is I figure one could glue a sewing needle into a new cap with the tip of the needle cut off so it doesn't poke anyone. I mean, you could even use the Ecotech glue to glue the new 'poker' in place. ;)

As for outgrowing the 34, you're probably right. I wanted to start with a DSA Neo 90, but being my first SW tank I decided to play it safer. (Along with a smaller upstart cost)

Archived