Calcium question

polarbear

So I tested the calcium in my tank today and it's at 720 ppm. Is this to high. I don't have any hard corals right now so there's nothing using up alot of calaium. Do I need to do anything?

If your calcium gets too high, calcium carbonate can start to precipitate in your tank, i.e., it will start to look like a "snowstorm" in your tank:

....it is possible to disturb the balanced relationship between calcium and alkalinity and cause a sudden precipitation of calcium carbonate, commonly known as a "snowstorm", which can have tragic ramifications. Spontaneous precipitation of calcium carbonate occurs when pH levels rapidly climb beyond a certain threshold, which causes crystalline carbonate "snow" to fall out of solution in an essentially insoluble form. The tragedy of the event for a system suffering from this condition is that the reaction must run its course before corrective measures can be taken. The addition of buffers in an attempt to counter the declining alkalinity serves only to feed the precipitous reaction. An aquarist is resigned to watch the spawn of his error to completion, which leaves the buffering capacity of the system at a dangerously low level. The stress of the sudden change in water quality can be significantly harmful to marine organisms as well. Water changes and any methods of damage control that insure stability in the environment will be necessary.

I'm going to buy a new test for ca tomorrow. I'm not sure if it correct. Also I read that oceanic salt has high alk and ca to start with. This is what I used when adding 30 gallons of new water to the tank when I got it. Not sure if it would make it go that high but it's a thought.

I'm sure it's not the the best way, but for tests like Ca if I'm not sure I'm getting good results with my test kit, I'll run the test on fresh saltwater. If it's relatively close to what it's supposed to be (the salt mix usually says the range it should mix up as) I feel pretty confident I'm getting good results on my tank water.

So I bought a new ca test and tested the water again today. It's at 680 ppm which is lower then the test from yesterday. Kh is setting at 125.3 ppm. How do I find out if these two are in balance? Ph is setting between 8.0 and 8.2.

I don't have a magnesium test at this time so I'll have to buy one. What would cause the ca to be so high? I have added anything to the water since I got the tank. When I pocked it up I used most of the water in the tank and added 30 plus gallons of new salt water because of what the person had taken out before I got there and becuase of the large refugium.

Get a magnesium test kit. Use it. The Calcium/Mg/Alk marriage is a three way. All three are vital in making things work.

As far as your current water...the calcium will continue to drift down. I wouldn't DO anything about it.

Now, my suspicions are that your calcium is not actually that high or your alk is not that LOW. I bet your magnesium is way off, high or low, and that is influencing the outcome on the Ca or Alk test. So get the third test kit. The Elos Kit is most worthwhile in my experience for consistent and reliable results with Salifert a number two. NO API-EVER!

When we know your magnesium levels, we can give you better advice about the chemistry three way in your tank!

Magnesium 1250-1350 is where I run my tank.

Calcium 400ish

Alk 7-9 (9 right now)

Thanks. I'll check it today if I can get the right test kit for the magnesium. So I should worry right now about the ca until I get the magnesium tested right?

Edited by polarbear

We have been using the Red Sea Coral Pro test kit for mag and every one of three tanks is consistently testing at 1600, which we don't think is accurate (one is an SPS tank, one is a mixed reef, one is a softies and LPS tank, each with different water change and dosing schedule, so there's no reason to believe each would consistently test so high for Mag). Others around here have had good experiences with it but we're looking to get something else instead. We've used to Elos too and like it better, and will probably go back to it.

I would not worry about your possibly high calcium level. It won't poison anything to my knowledge. Get the facts about all three parameters before you DO anything.

Having just gone through the nightmare of bad test kits, let me assure you, it is better to not over react to your test readings than it is to be HYPER reactive to one or two testing parameters that seem to be high for no good reason. Have a friend test your water...take it to a LFS and have them check the alk, calc, and mag. Do anything to verify water parameters before you go doing a big water change or dumping anything in that will rock the boat.

Let to itself, the calcium level will drift down on its own. That would be my recommended way of dealing with the imbalance should it prove to be the truth.

• Like 1

Ok here's an update. I bought a red sea magnesium pro test kit and tested magnesium, calcium, alk, phoshate, nitrate, ph and salinity. The magnesium was high for me just having soft corals. I believe the ppm I tested at were at a level for an SPS tank. I still need some help as to what I should do or if I should even be worrying. Here is the results:

magnesium = 1360ppm

calcium= 700ppm

Alk= 6(107.4ppm)

phoshate= 0

nitrate= 0

salinity= 1.023-1.024

PH= 8.2

That sounds fine to me, your ca is way high though like you thought. Hey, you could just get a bunch of sps now :D But really, over time with water changes it'll start to come down to whatever your mix levels are. I wouldn't mess with anything. Everyone's tank is different.