Elevevated nitrate levels

Hydro

When I got in to this hobby I did my homework and introduced things very slowly to my 175 gallon tank which I loaded up with live rock from existing reef systems. I never had detectable nitrates with that tank or when I moved everything over to my new tank. About 2 months ago I noticed that my polyps weren't extending like they had in the past. I checked all of my normally tested levels, KH, Mg, Ca, Ph, and phosphates. All levels are have been dead on, and in fact the phosphates measured 0.00. I was talking to another member who was having a similar problem and we both realized that about the time our corals stopped extending their polyps we had just changed our media in our phosphate reactors...so we got to thinking that maybe a complete absence of phosphates could be a problem. Well we tried turning off our reactors for a week and really didn't see any difference. I recently got some fish and put them in my QT tank which I filled with water from my DT. Before the fish were added the nitrates were tested in the QT since it was recently setup with old sand, they were at 15ppm. So I tested the DT, also at 15ppm! I realized immediately what the problem was, I added some horseshoe crabs a couple of months back and they have been stirring up the sand bed ever since. I did a 20% water change and added a product from seachem called de-nitrate in a reactor and started cycling the tank water through it. Over a couple of days with the water change and the De-nitrate my levels have dropped down to 8ppm (BTW using red sea pro kit). I lost several mille corals that were aquacultured, it seems that those corals couldn't handle the swings since they weren't stablized to the varying levels of the home aquarium. I had this same thing happen when I had a 4 degree temp swing by accident, the stabilized corals didn't show any signs of a problem but the wild caught corals receded and died.

I thought I would share my story in case anyone else might be in this position. I hadn't checked nitrate levels in my DT in over a year, I won't let that happen again.

I'm of the belief that reefers should either run a properly designed deep sandbed or little/no sandbed. I think the worst case scenario is a deep sandbed consisting of course sand or crushed coral, containing the wrong sand-sifting critters, and that gets disturbed drastically during cleanings. It's the perfect recipe for a whole host of problems.

How do you know if you have a healthy sandbed? Here's the test:

Gently stir a small section of your sandbed down to the bottom. With a proper sandbed, there should be no cloudy/muddy water released. In fact, you should see nothing but bubbles rise out of the sandbed. I've witnessed such a deep sandbed and it was impressive.

I also believe we add way too many snails to our systems. We all know those Turbos never last long and when they die and start decaying, they just make an awful mess. I've been amazed how clean my 135g has been maintained by just six Black Margarita Snails and a Lawnmower Blenny (plus a few scattered hermits).

Some type of sand sifting fish?

I had a pair of golden headed sleeper gobies that tore through my 75g. The first few weeks the tank was so cloudy from all their activity. But I think I eventually starved them :(

I know you have to feed substantially because of your fish-load.

I would either remove some of the sand or use one of those siphoning-devices to clean the sandbed wherever possible.

Some type of sand sifting fish?

I had a pair of golden headed sleeper gobies that tore through my 75g. The first few weeks the tank was so cloudy from all their activity. But I think I eventually starved them :(

Perfect example. In a true, deep sandbed whose purpose is to serve as a biological filter, fish like certain gobies and jawfish are no-no's. Critters should be sand-sifters, not sand-"tossers". A biological deep sandbed should remain relatively undisturbed.

If you don't have a true, deep sandbed, all those fish are doing is churning the sand and burying those big chunks of fish-poo and other detritus under the sand to decompose. I noticed that now with my very shallow sandbed, the chunks of fish-poo sometimes get mixed into the sand and it looks like dirty cat litter. It would be less evident if my sandbed was 2-4 inches deep.

Have you tried carbon dosing? that should drop your NO3 pretty fast.

I thought about it, I read up on vodka dosing this morning. Not sure if it is the right thing to do temporarily or not. I got rid of the horseshoe crab so I hope the nitrates go down and stay down.