Paint question

polarbear

I picked up the canopy to my new tank today and am interested in painting the inside part a white color. I want to do this to seal the wood as well as help with reflecting left over light. What type of paint would I use for this and were can I buy it?

Mitch,

"kilz" (sorry gonzo) is good just seal with a marine varnish. I would also recommend doing the same thing under your stand, if you can.

If need some varnish I may have some laying around in the shed. JLMK.

Dave-

When I was researching sealing the inside of my stand, the one consensus I ran into was that Kilz is carp. I checked via RC, Woodcraft, and Sherwin Williams for recommendations.

I used marine grade spar urethane varnish. Granted, it's not white, but it sealed up nicely. Maybe you could just paint it white and then varnish to seal.

I wouldn't put the varnish in or over the Kilz. The curing agents in the varnish would probably tear up the paint. Also, the varnish probably won't adhere too the paint very well. I do like Kilz though. It seems like it breaths easier than other paints so it doesn't warp or change the wood over time. I've used that Krylon Indoor outdoor stuff (great for painting the outside of your tank :) ) and it didn't treat the wood very well. Any salt creep or moisture would seem to cause problems.

I would definitely go with what everyone else is saying by using a marine based sealer. My only concern would be you having to reseal it every few years. I remember when I lived in Florida on a canal, my neighbor had an old wooden boat. He would spend a lot of time re-varnishing his boat just about every year. It was a beautiful boat though.

Good luck!!