BFS Dual Reactor & Flow

Bry

I have a question for those of you who have or have used the dual reactor from BFS (the two RODI containers stuck together).

The suggestion is to have a MaxiJet 1200 plugged into it. When I do that full open the GFO goes nuts. I pretty much turn it down less than half to get it moving correctly. Is this just because the particles are newly placed inside? Should I just go with plugging my smaller MaxiJet 600 or similar into it?

Seems a waste if I have this bigger pump plugged in if it will always be turned down so much. What experiences have you guys had?

Thanks,

Bryan

I use a MJ1200 as suggested and my findings are the same; I have to really restrict the flow.

As long as you aren't pushing the water up a significant height; I'd think you'd be ok with 600.

Thanks Robb, hey with the 1200 turned down so much, do you think the thing is flowing enough? You have a 75g, mine's pretty close at 90g. It seems either tank would need more pushing through than what I see here. How is it working out for you?

I have the dual reactor too and ran a maxijet 900 on it and it worked fine. I also have 2 x 150 phosban reactors one running gfo and the other running bio pellets I .like them individualy makes it easy for me to change.out stuff since I removed my gfo from the duel reactor I just put carbon in it until I figure out what to do with the extra reactor part. And thee duel reactor is huge in my opinion

I just put the MJ 600 on it and still dialed it down. I know from a few videos how much movement is best so I feel like I'm doing that right. I guess it's time for patience to see how the tank comes out. I was thinking of those bio pellets too. It would be nice to have help with the nitrates too... ahh toys.

I just put the MJ 600 on it and still dialed it down. I know from a few videos how much movement is best so I feel like I'm doing that right. I guess it's time for patience to see how the tank comes out. I was thinking of those bio pellets too. It would be nice to have help with the nitrates too... ahh toys.

if you go biopellets make sure to test your tank and to over feed cuz they work too well that it pulls so much nutrients out that your sps (will start to rtn/stn)

Thanks for the info on the bio pellets.

In talking to BFS, they simply confirmed what I read to put me at ease. With reactors containing GFO, it's not about how many times you turn the tank over through water flow (ie 3x-6x), it truly is about contact time. This is just new to me. I guess as long as the sump and aquarium are exchanging water several times (through the filter sock and rocks/sand/macro in sump) then I won't worry about these flow rate through the dual reactors.

Time to sit back with and chill with a cigar I guess. ha