SoonerFan's Blog

SoonerFan

This 225 Gallon tank was a great find on ebay. The agreement with the wife was that all other tanks had to go if I got this one. Managed to snag the tank, stand, and canopy for $610. It was in Texas just south of Fort Worth. Here are some pictures of the tank as it looked on ebay:

EbayPicture2.jpg

EbayPicture1.jpg

It took me 6 weeks to redo the stand and canopy. I painted the inside of both with Kilz (about 3 layers each). I then stained with a Golden Oak and added Starfish knobs (from ebay as well).

EquipmentandSetup023.jpg

EquipmentandSetup027.jpg

EquipmentandSetup028.jpg

EquipmentandSetup044.jpg

EquipmentandSetupNextDay004.jpg

LatestUpdate038.jpg

LatestUpdate045.jpg

Next up - Filtration

I wanted a cryptic refugium with a deep sand bed that could be taken off-line quickly if need be. I got the idea from Reef Central. My sump was custom made by Ace (Hobogate) and Brian (Kingfish Aquariums). The sump has a space for my protein skimmer (Euroreef 180 with upgraded Sedra 9000 pump), a frag growout section that will be light with 150 Metal Halide Phoenix 14K, and a return section powered by a Panworld 150PS. I bought the CJ Standpipes to replace the Durso's I had made. To be honest, for the money, I didn't really notice a big decrease as both were pretty quiet and the CJ's cost about $50 bucks for my tank so in hindsight I would have stuck with Durso's.

The tank has around 200lbs of Fiji Live Rock most of which I have had for three or more years so it is very mature rock with tons of pods, sponges, stomatella's, and all kinds of life.

SUMP:

Has probe holders, holder for JBJ ATO, and eggcrate for holding frags in growout section.

EquipmentandSetup030.jpg

20 Gallon Tall tank with (2) 1/2" drains for cryptic refugiums. Fed by a T coming off the left drain pipe:

EquipmentandSetup040.jpg

EquipmentandSetupNextDay001.jpg

CRYPTIC REFUGIUM:

Contains one black serpent star and a blue Coral banded Shrimp.

Eggcrate for holding live rock off sand bed in cryptic refugium:

ForSaleandSetup001.jpg

LatestUpdate061.jpg

LatestUpdate062.jpg

LatestUpdate063.jpg

By turning the (2) 90" elbows sideways they skimmed the top of the water in the refugium and drain directly into protein skimmer section"

LatestUpdate031.jpg

Well, to get started I made a plumbing station.

EquipmentandSetupNextDay003.jpg

I had originally bought an Iwaki pump off of Reef Central but when I got everything set up and turned it on it didn't work so I got a Panworld 150PS from River City.

Love the pump and it is very quiet for a large pump.

EquipmentandSetupNextDay015.jpg

I used threaded bulkheads, lots of unions, and ball valves to allow easy dissassembly for maintenance.

The tank is a brick tank with dual overflows on each end. I plumbed with 1" spaflex and PVC for drains and returns until right before the returns entered the tank where I went back to 3/4".

Right drain and return:

EquipmentandSetupNextDay010.jpg

Left drain and return:

EquipmentandSetupNextDay009.jpg

I mounted the drain lines against the back wall of stand to hold in place:

EquipmentandSetupNextDay008.jpg

Skimmer in sump:

EquipmentandSetupNextDay011.jpg

Plumbing and wiring:

LatestUpdate027.jpg

The skimmer has a gate valve mod and I put a gate valve on the return line from the pump to dial in the flow.

The tank is lit by (2) 250 Watt HQI Sunlight Supply Reefoptix Pendants with dual ballast and (1) 250 Watt HQI AquaMedic Pendant. All three run Phoenix 14K 250 Watt bulbs.

I don't like raising a canopy and being blinded by light so I wanted to design something where the lights would rotate and continue to point down and light the tank when the canopy is raised. I knew due to the weight of the canopy lid I would also need gas springs (from ebay).

Here are photos of how I designed the rotating light bar:

EquipmentandSetup026.jpg

Here are the pendants mounted to the light bar (6' aluminum square tube painted with appliance paint).

EquipmentandSetup048.jpg

EquipmentandSetup049.jpg

EquipmentandSetup050.jpg

I learned about liverock pillars on Reef Central and decided I wanted to give it a try. Went ot Regal Plastics and picke dup some 3/8" acrylic sheets cut in 1'x1' squares and some 6' 3/4" acrylic rod. I also bought some masonry bits for drilling live rock.

Here are the pillars without the rock:

EquipmentandSetup041.jpg

EquipmentandSetup042.jpg

Shots of the actual live rock pillars:

Left Pillar:

FinallySetup053.jpg

Middle Pillars:

LatestUpdate002.jpg

LatestUpdate003.jpg

LatestUpdate004.jpg

FinallySetup054.jpg

Right Pillar: