Killing Aiptasia Anemones

Lamont

Three weeks ago I was trying to find ways to get rid of my aiptasia. I tried about 4 different peppermint shrimp and none of them wanted to eat aiptasia. So i got a copperband butterfly fish. He eats, but just not aiptasia. While researching the butterfly fish I stumbled across this article on the GARF website. Its talks about using pickling lime to kill aiptasia without harming anything else. I searched for two weeks but could not find any pickling lime any where in Austin. There were plenty of sites online. Today I went to Wal-Mart and found some.(its on the vacuum cleaner aisle)I followed the steps and it seems to be working. I sprayed about 12 aiptasia anemones and all of them took it and have not come back out. It really does seem to stick to them. I will not fully know if it works until a few days or weeks. But if it does I will let you know. Here is the site if you want to read it for yourself and try it. Killing Aiptasia. If you need to borrow some of the pickiling lime I have plenty.

Keep us updated! I've had success with Aiptasia X in the past, but my recent attempts have failed :wave:. I think my bottle of X is too old, but I don't want to spend money on a new one. Let us know if they are still gone after a few days and I might just hit you up for some pickling lime

I left my house this morning at 7:00am and still no sign of any aiptasia. I used Mrs. Wages pickling Lime and it was only $2.30. Its a 16oz bag and I only used a teaspoon of it. I will continue to update the results. :D

Its been almost a week and no sign Of any aiptasia anemones left. I believe its safe to say the pickling lime works with no side effects. I cant believe it only cost me $2.30 to get rid of those reef pest. I have plenty left if anyone needs some.

I personally use fresh squeezed lemon and inject it into the aptasia. Works like a charm everytime for me. You just have to be kinda quick because once you touch them they immediately suck back in. But this has worked great for me without any side effects on any corals or fish. If you're quick very little gets into your tank and it doesn't take much to kill them. Good Luck!