filter sock

ACampbell

The sock in your sump is there not really to catch particulate, but to eliminate noise and bubbles from the overflow. If those aren't problems, you don't need the filter sock.

John

The sock in your sump is there not really to catch particulate, but to eliminate noise and bubbles from the overflow. If those aren't problems, you don't need the filter sock.

John

Yeah, I don't have any problems with noise or bubbles. I'm gonna run sockless for a while and see what happens.

I have to go with Headless_Donkey on this one. I have noticed a HUGE difference in the amount of time it takes to clean my sump since I started using the socks. I hardly get any crap down in there. I have 2 socks and I switch them out weekly. It takes all of 30 sec. to switch them and then I just throw the dirty one in the washer.

It takes all of 30 sec. to switch them and then I just throw the dirty one in the washer.

You make it sound so easy! :) Somehow I always end up drinched and with a strained hand. Often times I set them aside and forget. They end up drying with all that crap on them and thus twice as hard to clean.

Old shorts and the garden hose with a 4 dollar sprayer. It takes mere minutes to clean in the drive way. I have never tried the dishwasher since I also clean the skimmer at the same time.

dishwasher? :huh: how it delicious when eat the dish what the stuffs from reef on the food... MUST be GOOD? Headless_ donkey's reef food networking.... :)

I'm not saying it doesn't trap particulate, it most definitely does. The reason for a filter sock in Clint's sump (now Andrew's) was to cut down noise and bubbles. Anything after that was a plus.

I would have to agree with the other guys here that as long as you have a spare, the maintenance to clean a filter sock is way less than the maintenance to shop vac a sump.

John