T5 lighting

polarbear

I'm thinking of buying a 6 foot retro fit setup from a maast member that has 8 T5 HO and 2 VHO's. All are 4 foot long so the ends over lap to make 10 bulbs down the middle. I'm looking to run this on my 120 gallon 6 foot long tank which I think is 2 feet deep. I wanted to see other members setups and tanks who are running only T5's. Can you please tell what size your tank is and how many lights you are running? Also can you tell what type of corals you are keeping and success rate? Also would like some opinions on the setup I'm thinking of buying. Thanks.

T5's work great! I keep maxima clams in the sand bed 36" below the light fixture. In fact my T5 fixture is so powerful I have to be careful when acclimating new corals and most of my LPS are in the shade. All of my fish have a "sun tan" I'm currently using all KZ bulbs and the fixture is the Power Module by ATI

Here is a recent picture however when this picture was taken the phosphates were above .20 so you can imagine how it looks when the tank is healthy.

IMG_9273.jpg

IMG_9275.jpg

It has tek 2 reflectors with workhorse 7 ballast. I'm not familiar with T5's. Are these good reflectors? As the bulbs have about 6 months on them. He only ran them for 6 hours a day. I know I will have to replace them but with what I have at the moment I don't need to right away.

Tek reflectors are pretty decent reflectors. Another important point about T5s is that cooling the bulbs is very important as warmer bulbs lose light output. One of the reasons the ATI fixtures are so great is because they individually cool each bulb, on top of having great reflectors. My open brain has to be kept under a ledge to keep from bleaching, even with the lights 10-12" off the water level.

Here is my 75 running a Aquactinics TX5 with the following all ATI lamp assortment:

front to back

blue +

actinic

aquablue special

actinic

blue+

All lamps- not 100% color accurate(about 98%)

post-371-0-88914500-1298947035_thumb.jpg

Actinic only FTS-again the color is not 100% accurate but it's pretty close(90%)

post-371-0-08252100-1298947027_thumb.jpg

Forgot the other questions:

Mixed corals: LPS, 4 clams, 2 BTAs, rics, zoos. And The Evil GSP.