canister filter?

tom0514

They can be handy for running things like carbon, purigen, etc. Some people put in live rock rubble, and it is another source of flow. They're not necessary though as long as you have rock and sand in the tank for your biological filtration to take place on.

You can certainly do that. If it were me, I'd keep it around though in storage or something. It really is very handy if you need to run some carbon or other media. I have the same fluval model and it has run great (no leaks - yet) for the past 3 yrs, but just like Derekreefer said, you have to keep it clean.

the blue part of a Filter Cartridge

Just make sure you change that at least every three days....or watch those Nitrate levels soar

I do weekly water changes and when i do them i pull that blue stuff out and rinse it clean. I have not had any nitrate problem in a while. Thanks Derek for the letting me know what would happen if I didnt clean as often as I do.

the blue part of a Filter Cartridge

Just make sure you change that at least every three days....or watch those Nitrate levels soar

+1

I had a Fluval 304 filter running on mine initially because I came from a freshwater background. After learning to trust in the Force, it now sits in my garage. I find HOB filter easier for dealing with the minimal carbon requirements.