I'd like to throw out some Probiotic Filtration Websites

thedude

An update from me on the System Reefresh:

I'm just starting week 6 in this system and this is when results should become immediately apparent. On with the pros and cons;

Pros-

* Water CRYSTAL clear

* Increased growth in most corals

* Deeper more intense color in most corals

* Skimmate not nearly as "chunky" now, smells different, looks different and is completely uniform in texture.

* Has not affected clams, coco worms, fish or LPS

Cons-

* Time consuming, tank must be dosed two different times, before lights on and after lights off

* Zoos did not like the stripped clean water

* Strange whispy algae continues to proliferate in the tank on any plastic surface (this could be the only source of phosphate available in the tank)

* Encrusting Monti's did not like the extra light and water quality and have demonstrating varying stages of STN

* One acro (blue selago) slowly STN'd for unknown reasons. The colony was healthy three months previous and came from a captive frag

• 6 months later...

So I'm still essentially using this filtration method. I zone in and out of how much time I want to spend on my tank at home and so does how much the tank gets dosed.

I will say that my phosphate goes down significantly when I am dosing. The bacteria I'm feeding also eat phosphate apparently. Also, I wouldn't need to run ozone because when the bacteria swing in, the water could NOT be more clear.

One thing that is interesting to note is that all kinds of life is growing on my live rock. I have never had this vast a collection of sponge in any tank ever maintained by me. Also, my corals didn't really suffer when I stopped dosing (and started dosing... then stopped again... then dosed a day etc...).

It definitely helps the tank when I do dose on a regular basis, but it also doesn't get the tank when I get busy which is a huge plus to me.

I don't know if I'll ever stock a system like zeovit or System Reefresh. The niche of hobbyists willing to take on the extra maintenance required with it is very very small.

I'll have to make some kind of crazy zeovit tank in the future to truly understand what I'm dealing with THEN get people excited haha

I ordered, and have received the Fauna Marin product, UltraLith. Part of their process is to have an aggressive skimmer. Since I haven't received the Deltech Turbo (used) I recently acquired, I haven't started the UltraLith yet.

As soon as I get the skimmer up and running, I plan to try this in the Corner tank I have the bad Nitrate problem in.

John,

I was seriously considering using the Reefresh, but since I knew you were already trying it, I thought I would try one of the competitors and report the results back to the group. I should have the skimmer by next week, so I'll post an update when I get it started.

Stephen