Just found out my mag 7 is the reason I get shocked!!

Joseph9123

I don't think the impeller is going to be your problem. There are however few common reasons pumps leak stray electricity.

There are a few things you can look out for:

-Any swelling cracks on the pump body whether it is on the inside where the magnet goes, or the outside.

-you can pull the back cover off where the electrical cord goes into and evaluate in there.

-Look for separation from the cord to the epoxy filler they fill the pump with. (again on the pump body)

If you do have any of this, check for calcium buildup on the impeller, or the inside of the pump where the impeller seats.

Hope this helps!

-Mike

This is another good reason to have a grounding plug in your tank. It will pull any stray electricity out of te water and also could keep you from getting shocked. Best part is, unlike everything else in this hobby, there cheap.

The problem with a grounding probe is that it will save you but kill your coral and fish. Without a path to ground, there is no current moving through the tank in the case of a full-short or even just induced voltage which happens with submersible pumps naturally. Once you add a grounding probe, current flows through anything in its path including livestock.

I suggest buying a $10 voltage meter and test the water for shorts once per month. While I think it's most important to be safe and a grounding probe will protect a person from being shocked, I wouldn't risk using one with expensive livestock when you can just periodically test the water.

One could argue that a probe + GFCI outlet will prevent current from moving through the tank. If there's a short, the GFCI should trip. But if it's a weak short, you may not get enough current to trip the GFCI, but still enough to kill livestock.