Syncing Up Heater Temperatures

Derek

I have two heaters in my tank. I have noticed that one of the heaters is on most of the time while the other one is not on that often at all. Both of the heaters have the arrows pointing to the same temperature points. Is there a way to calibrate heaters or at least sync them up?

I recently picked up some new heaters. What I do is put them one at a time in 5 gallons of water with a thermometer and run them till I get a solid temp. Then adjust. Cycle each heater through the same process and they should be calibrated to each other.

Well if the temp is high, you turn down the one that is on all the time.... if it's low you turn up the one that's off. If you like the temp you can turn the on side down a bit and the off side up a bit. Treat the numbers as guidelines, not as absolutes.... even if they're perfectly calibrated, because of different flow and tank parameters, a calibrated heater set to 79 won't necessarily give you 79 degree water temps all over your aquarium. Generally more flow and fewer dead spots.... plus thicker glass or a top.... will make it a bit more consistent, but if you set your heaters to give you the proper output temperature measured at another source, you will be fine.

Also since they are so distant, it could be simply that the side of the tank with the on heater is actually cooler than the other.