Feather Star, Crinoid Lobster, Crab and Shrimp.

cyrus

http://www.austinree...__1#entry105646
http://www.austinree...__1#entry101704

Some of you have seen the footage of my feather star. It has a crab, lobster, and shrimp (last I checked). This 4 some is currently eating frozen brine (do your research that is extremely rare!) Then star alone sells for 40-80$ with no guarantee I bought 2 and only one survived. They normally only last 3wks at best with special care. I have had them for 4 months. The Crinoid Lobster is 20$ and the crab and shrimp can only be found as hitch hikers. I'm asking 100$ Firm no trades.

IMG_0664.jpg?t=1287594525
IMAGE_161.jpg?t=1287794747
IMG_1394.jpg?t=1293066036

In order to stabilize a new feather star I beleive it needs my whole tank. I want to tune the process so others can switch them over without concern that there little guy wount make it, very similar to how I sucessfully stabilize mandrins in as little as 2 weeks.

Very cool little group. However, notice the blunt tips on the crinoid's legs. This star has been dropping tips, a classic sign of prolonged nutritional deficiency and a precursor to death. Sure the star has been gathering brine, but the majority is being consumed by the crustaceans. From my observation a feather star collects foodstuffs indiscriminately with its arms, only accepting or refusing once it reaches the mouth. With these two barriers to feeding, along with the fact that these animals are being fed nearly constantly on the reef, who knows if the star has eaten at all? Crinoids are very difficult to keep. Mandarins are possible to train. Crinoids are not. I would be surprised if little bits of arm have not been seen (moving even) around the tank.

Aqua dome is correct. The feather is smaller than the picture, about baseball where it is pictured about softball size. when introduced intially a tank they go through a drastic adjustment phase for the first 2 to 3 weeks. During this phase they drop partial and full limbs and to adjust to the limited space in your tank, a large percentage perish not able to cope. Only when you start to see regrowth on the limbs will know know they are starting to stabilize. Sock filters can not be used because the feathers sift the detrius that returns to the tank. I stir my sump once every day or two. He has positioned himself directly under a return to capture and feed. The transition is not easy and they require very small food particles such as coral frenzy, then cylopeeze, and up as they acclimated over two months. Yes I have seen brine being taken into the mouth.

Frozen brine and dry nori are all I currently feed my tank. A lot of people have experience with Crinoids, few have been successful but the very few of us who have done the research and dare to test the waves have shown positive results. As always however I welcome all feed back in the general reef keeping topics I have already setup (listed above), this is a sale forum.

In short this guy would not be alive if he had not been eating for 4 months.

By the way Aqua Dome is in my top 2 stores of the whole area and I love it! And in no way would I ever knock a kick *** store like it!

Hey cyrus, is there a thread already on your mandarin-training method? I want to get a mandarin eventually, but only if I can find a relatively fool-proof method for training them to frozen. If you've got one please share!

Hey cyrus, is there a thread already on your mandarin-training method? I want to get a mandarin eventually, but only if I can find a relatively fool-proof method for training them to frozen. If you've got one please share!

http://www.austinreefclub.com/topic/15808-mandrin-sure-thing-frozen-brine-feeding/