microbubbles

Stacy

Ok, I know a rubbermaid tub is not the ideal sump set up, but I also know some people use them so I'm hoping someone can help us. How do I get rid of the millions of microbubbles that are coming from it since there's no good way (that we've found, anyways) to set up a bubble trap. Have the 3 overflow tubes running into the left section- all banded together. First divider is the egg crate piece that's covered with a filter pad. Then it goes through the live rock and through another egg crate divider, before it's pumped back into the tank. We're probably going to end up having to make a "real" sump soon, but for now is there a solution. Also, are the bubbles a problem for any corals since I was about to move mine from the nano tank into the 90...?

Thanks for any help on this newbie issue :)

~Stacy

The two most common methods for controlling micro bubbles are as follows:

Forcing the flow through a sponge or filter material thick enough to give the micro bubbles enough time and exposure to consolidate into larger bubbles which easily rise and dissipate.

The second method is to force the water containing the micro bubbles down under a barrier which again gives them time to consolidate and float. This method is often combined with the earlier method to catch any bubbles which pass an initial stage.

Providing additional details or a picture of your sump may help others provide you with ideas or solutions.

First is to only submerge your piping as little as necessary in the sump. The deeper it is, the harder it is for bubbles to escape.

Second, you could use a tee in the pipe that flows into your sump. Leave the top open (stub it as necessary to keep water from leaving through the top) to give air a place to escape before it gets into your sump.

Third, you could try a bubble tower on the inlet to the sump. You can see an example on Melev's reef at http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/a/sump_model_a.html this is probably something like gonzobob was suggesting.

Obviously cementing a bubble trap (over under over) to the walls of the rubbermaid container won't work, BUT have you considered making an acrylic box for your pump that you set into the sump, that has a bubble trap built into it? Seems a nifty DIY project that you could also look into.

The diy bubble trap does sound like a nifty idea, lol. May have to try that too... Don, we did try lowering the pump flow and it caused a problem with something else- don't remember what, but thanks. I was wondering if putting a filter sock kind of thing on the hoses would help, so I may try those first, since it's the cheapest and easiest solution. Where would the pre-filter go? I'm sure that's a dumb question and I'm going to go research those now. Thanks for all of the suggestions!!

Are the bubbles any danger to my corals? Most of what I was going to move are mushrooms or lps...

I appreciate everyone's help!

I think rubbermaid tubs are fine for sumps unless you're using a design with dividers. I have one on a tank that has 6000 gph going through it without a problem. I've used all the suggestions everybody's given on different setups and personally would start with Afgun's 2nd suggestion.