Pvc structures

strange_screams

Anyone have any good article links to pvc /great stuff/zip tie/home made live rock or other DIY structures?

I saved some a couple of years ago that were spectacular but have been sifting through my thousands of bookmarks and have yet to find them again. I Have lots of my own ideas but wanted some reference points to help.

Anyone got any good tips?

I'm planning on a 2" pvc arch with greatstuff ledges extended from the upright sections, I'll use concrete repair and silicon to coat the great stuff after i make swiss cheese out of it.

I've had zip ties break after a few years so I try to avoid them now and if I do need to I'll get over sized quality ones not cheap plastic. A interesting effect with the spray foam is get a container of dry sand, stick the nozzle in it then pull it part way out as you pull the trigger. You can also use a large flat tray with a layer of sand and make "noodles" then dump more sand on top.

I have created an eggcrate/foam/rock wall in my build as well. I just attached the second panel to the wall today... hope to know how it winds up overall in a few days!

With mine I cut the eggcrate, laid it on some plastic, decided generally what rocks I wanted where, took the rocks off to the side and foamed the snot out of the eggcrate with waterfall foam (note: the stuff they carry at home depot is black but NOT UV safe). Then I stuck the rocks back on. I had to pull some pieces out and put extra foam on the back to get them to really stick well. You want to squish the foam as much as possible to reduce buoyancy.

Note, the foam will keep expanding even after it's sat for a few minutes. What I ended up doing was waiting until it dried, ripping off the smooth foam that stuck out between the rocks, then I laid down UV safe epoxy (aquadome carries "pond shield", but it's pricey) and covered it in sand. When dry, it looks just like in my thread pictures. :)

A lot of people have used acrylic rods for their rock structures. What you would do is drill the rock in two places you want it to contact and slip a rod in there.

You can even go as far as filling the void between the two rocks to make it look like one continuous piece. I forgot what the word was on what product to use for that.

The best part is that acrylic rod can be cheap:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=24128&catid=440