Pipefish

Brooks

I asked Bruce @ Aquatek that once cause I was thinking about doing a JBJ pico with pipefish. He said if I wanted to go that small I'd have to go the BBS route cause they don't always eat frozen and a pico won't allow for enough LR for them to live off copods. I've heard of pipefish eating frozen and RCA does sell live brine (just not baby, so you'd have to enrich it), so you might be able to make it work... from what I read they don't necessarily need a lot of water volume/swimming room, it's more the feeding issue that limits tank size. I had a hard time finding too much info, though.

Awesome! Thanks for the info.

I've found an awesome tank that is about 15 gallons total volume (13 in the display) that I think would be perfect for them. I'm going to continue to research about the tank size just to be sure.

Thanks again!

this species is best kept in mated pairs or harems of one male and multiple females in an aquarium that is 30 gallons or larger. Males are territorial and will not tolerate the presence of one another. If adding more than one bluestripe pipefish to the aquarium, it is recommended to add them at the same time.

got this from will's link

That is correct, but the main reason for their tank requirement is due to their feeding needs (same with a mandarin) if you can feed it in a smaller tank (brooks is 15 gal) then i dont see why a pair would not work. The best place to go for these questions is seahorse.org as they will be able to give you better advice than i can.

Will is right. I've been reading about the Pipefish all day, and the main reason as to why they need larger tanks, is because they decimate pod populations in smaller ones. However, if you can do 2-3 feeding daily, you're set.

^

That is what I've gathered from my reading today.

Will is right. I've been reading about the Pipefish all day, and the main reason as to why they need larger tanks, is because they decimate pod populations in smaller ones. However, if you can do 2-3 feeding daily, you're set.

^

Thanks, But keep in mind that you will have to feed that often, an feeding them is one of the major issues with this species.

Aquadome has one of these in one of their tanks (at least 4 months now) that is eating frozen cyclopzes

Also keep this in mind: "Pipefish will be harmed by anemones and corals with stinging tentacles or corals that are large enough to consume them, such as brain corals. They can also be harmed by invertebrates such as crabs and large shrimp."

^

Thanks, But keep in mind that you will have to feed that often, an feeding them is one of the major issues with this species.

Aquadome has one of these in one of their tanks (at least 4 months now) that is eating frozen cyclopzes

Yeah. It is going to be a demanding species to care for, but with this tank, I have my Mom home when I'm not to feed! Ah, it is nice when your parents take interest in your hobbies. No matter how expensive...

^

Yeah. It is going to be a demanding species to care for, but with this tank, I have my Mom home when I'm not to feed! Ah, it is nice when your parents take interest in your hobbies. No matter how expensive...

ok good. i was going to say. that is going to be difficult keeping them fed 3 times a day wen youre going off to school and what not. good research