Good News and Bad News.

PeeperKeeper

Okay, bad news first. I was so upset Friday I couldn't even post. Just before I left the office I discovered that my beautiful Rose BTA that I got from Aquadoc/Mike was caught in the overflow and had been torn in two really busted up pieces. Both pieces looked so bad that I almost took them out, but I had seen stories of anemones recovering from some pretty bad stuff so I decided to put them in the tank, make sure the skimmer was working well and see what happens.

Well, I went back down there Friday evening and they were still hangin in there. I checked on them again Sunday and at first I thought they were both gone, but my 6 year old was able to get her head around the side of the tank where I couldn't and could see at least one of them. This morning I was able to see it too! I don't know if the other half is still around or if it's fish food, but I'm really happy that at least one part of it is still alive. It's on the back of a rock, so I can't see it very well, but I was able to see enough to know that it is inflating tentacles and there are at least 7 or 8 tentacles (maybe more) that seem to be in a somewhat normal circular arrangement.

I'm tempted to move the rock so I can see it better, but the whole problem was that it was constantly moving all over the tank before its accident so since it's been in the same place for at least 24 hours I don't want to upset it. I'm just going to leave it alone, maybe do a big water change tomorrow and hope for the best.

The other bit of great news besides that the anemone is hanging on is that I was looking at the rock that used to have the super-bright orange skirted zoos that I thought had all died and there is one and a half polyp left of them! Woo Hoo! blob7.gif

Now I just hope these two small vestiges of my two favorite items in the tank will survive and flourish. I really thought both of them were toast. With the zoos I had accepted their loss weeks ago. What a great surprise to possibly get them back!

It's amazing how tough these creatures can be.

I 'cooked' some rock for almost 3 months... no light, hot garage temps... when I pulled it out, there were still some small zoanthids, palythoas and GSPs that I must've missed, and they were STILL alive... although a little mad happy2.gif

Your anemone can certainly recover, just give it what it needs and take care of it.

• 3 weeks later...
Thats great to hear.  How are the zoas holding on?

I got two orange polyps now, up from one lone survivor. They don't seem quite as bright an orange as they used to be, but I'm hoping as they recover the color will brighten up.

That is awsome Sundra!!!! So are the roses doing well for you? Have they found a spopt that they like? I am so glad to hear that the tank is doing well. How is that phosban reactor working for you? LMK!

• 2 weeks later...

The phosban's doing great, Mike. Thanks. It's probably time to change the carbon in it again tho. I got some hydrocarbon the other day. What's that stuff you told me to put in there with it? Carlos never can remember the name of it either, but they said they'd finally gotten some in and sold out of it immediately!

More drama with the roses. One of them is doing great and has finally settled in one place where it's been happy pretty much since I realized I still had two of them. Unfortunately, the other day I found just a very small piece of the other one near my tube anemone. crybaby2.gif I guess they got in a fight and the rose lost. I stuck what was left in a hole in a rock and it's still hanging in there, but there's not much of it. I'm pretty hopeful that it will make it back again though. It did it once already! I was really glad I have two of them though. Insurance.