t5 opinion

gbelcik

bought new bulbstoday. 2 actinics, 1 purple reef bulb, and 3 - 12ks

its a really nice look but maybe just a hair too blue... would changing one of the 12k's to a 6500 lighten it up a bit and give some low k growth, or should i switch to 10ks

The combination recommended to me for my 6 bulb fixture was....

Front

ATI blue plus

ATI purple plus

ATI blue plus

ATI blue plus

ATI aqua blue

ATI blue plus

I havent set the tank up yet,but the guy is pretty reputable as the t5 master.lol.

Front

ATI blue plus

ATI purple plus

ATI blue plus

ATI blue plus

ATI aqua blue

ATI blue plus

I havent set the tank up yet,but the guy is pretty reputable as the t5 master.lol.

all actinics? or am i missing something?

In my experience, both the tanks I had a single 6500k bulb over wound up growing too much green. Not like totally covered in GHA or anything, but absolutely impossible to keep plant life from growing inside. Plant life more or less ceased to exist after removing the 6500k in both tanks, which were completely separate and using two entirely different fixtures (one using 4 bulbs, the other using 8).

Front

ATI blue plus

ATI purple plus

ATI blue plus

ATI blue plus

ATI aqua blue

ATI blue plus

Aren't Blue spectrum bulbs and the Actinic spectrum different? Or maybe I heard wrong... it sounds like it could be wrong.

Front

ATI blue plus

ATI purple plus

ATI blue plus

ATI blue plus

ATI aqua blue

ATI blue plus

Aren't Blue spectrum bulbs and the Actinic spectrum different? Or maybe I heard wrong... it sounds like it could be wrong.

blue lights are stronger visibly than actinics, but will not cause fluorescing. i dont think they are good or bad for corals, blue lights are pretty much just to make your tank less yellow.. correct me if im wrong

blue lights are stronger visibly than actinics, but will not cause fluorescing. i dont think they are good or bad for corals, blue lights are pretty much just to make your tank less yellow.. correct me if im wrong

the ATI blue plus does have a decent amount of the 420 spectrum, but not like a true actinic.

I current run 2 aquablue specials and 2 blue plus. And I like the look and am getting fast coral growth. I tried 2 aquablue specials 1 blue plus and one pure actinic, swapped the true actinic with a purple and thought the tank still looked pink during the dawn/dusk period. With a 6 or 8 bulb combo you will have more flexibility ofcourse.

Ask grimreefer for advice, he is the man on t5

post-1248-021786600 1287849336_thumb.jpg

I am running 2 Blue+, and AquaBlue Special and a KZ Figi Purple. I am very happy with the look of the tank and the growth.

The Blue+ have more than sufficient par as has been evidenced by the countless reefers who have had great results using it, e.g. Sonny at rimlessreef.com.

I am running 2 Blue+, and AquaBlue Special and a KZ Figi Purple. I am very happy with the look of the tank and the growth.

The Blue+ have more than sufficient par as has been evidenced by the countless reefers who have had great results using it, e.g. Sonny at rimlessreef.com.

so youre not running any daylight bulbs either? ;)

i gotta see what it looks like..

The aquablue special is pretty white, but certainly not a 6500k bulb.

I think my color is closer to 20k than 14k, but I am very pleased with it. I like the combination because you get the look of higher K bulbs with the growth of a lower K.

The aquablue special is pretty white, but certainly not a 6500k bulb.

I think my color is closer to 20k than 14k, but I am very pleased with it. I like the combination because you get the look of higher K bulbs with the growth of a lower K.