Anyone Keeping An Octopus?

LEW

It won't be any time soon, but I really want to keep an octopus. I have done a lot of research on them.

Anyone keeping one in Austin? My biggest concern is having a supply of food for them. What are you feeding and where have you been getting it? Also, did you get your octo in town, what species, would you buy another from that lfs etc. etc.

I think the biggest concern is the octopus getting out of the aquarium. I know River City can get them for you. I would go ask Carlos and he will tell you what you need. There are some people on nano-reef.com that keep octopi octopuses*learn something new every day* also.

I would love to hear from someone local keeping these creatures as well.

I think the biggest concern is the octopus getting out of the aquarium. I know River City can get them for you. I would go ask Carlos and he will tell you what you need. There are some people on nano-reef.com that keep octopi also.

I would love to hear from someone local keeping these creatures as well.

I will of course seal the lid and add weights. Years ago I was talking to someone at the Texas State Aquarium in Corpus and they said they were lining the rim of the octo tanks with astroturf. Apparently they can't stand touching that stuff.

Right now I don't have a place for it, but I am hoping to keep one in my lab (as a pet) once I am settled. I spend more time in the lab than home so I think it would OK here. I know it would be an attraction to all the other geeks.

Remember, the plural form of Octopus is actually "Octopuses", or you can say "Octopodes" (very rare use). Octopi is not correct. Just a little tip for when you do get some!

They are amazing creatures and would love to see the tank when it's up!

Edited by xcreonx

Notice I never used the plural. I prefer octopi but I know it's wrong so I just always use the singular.

The short life span is a bummer. I hope to find captive reared octopuses so I know how old they are already.

The new TFH has an article on keep nautileses. They live 15 years. Still I want an octo.