How long can a fish live in a bucket?

Cory54

I bought a biocube today from don duncan. We took everything out except the sand. So I readded all the water to the tank and the sand went everywhere. I know it will settle eventually but all the coral and a maroon clown are sitting in 5gallon buckets of saltwater. How long can they last in there? I plan on putting everything in as soon as the water clears. Is it safe to put them in before it clears? also should I run the filter? will that help? I heard it might actuall hurt the whole process.

Edited by Cory54

Next time you can just siphon out the water back into the tank slowly and it wont disturb the sand like that. Thats what I did when I got my 14g and it takes a bit longer to get the water back in but it doesnt get cloudy.

I had a wrasse survive in a bucket for 10 days. I had a air pump in the bucket for aeration. I did not have any problems. I only had a gallon of water in the bucket. i would do a very tiny water change every 4 days.(1/4 gallon)

ok. good idea. I replaced the filter media and it is clearing. Clown died unfourtunatly . Not sure why. but anyways. I am trying to keep the coral alive and get my water to normal. still cloudy. I don't think it is sand it looks more like algae maybe.