plumbing for return pump question

Myvirtue

Im using a mag 12 return pump and its pushing more water back into my tank than my overflow will take out... I currently have a valve on my return line to limit my mag 12. Im worried i may damage my pump. I was thinking i should possibly make a T and moved the valve to the T and allow the extra water to go back into my sump and not causing so much back pressure on my pump. What do u guys think? or will my pump be fine? if im not making sense i can take pics. thank you

Edited by Myvirtue

i was thinking about putting a t where the valve is now and moving the valve to the left side of the "t" and allow the extra water to go back in the sump so i can control the flow without putting any more back pressure on the pump

post-1502-037626700 1285894183_thumb.jpg

Being a pipe fitter, and someone that works with pumps, I always recommend that you consider adding a "TEE" and spill valve rather than restricting the flow of the pump. Restricting the flow will reduce the overall lifespan of the pump and can actually cause the pump to use more electricity as the windings attempt to overcome the obstruction.

Why dead head it if you can allow it to run correctly? Better yet, sell the pump for more money, replace with a smaller and less expensive pump (IE: right size it) and use the savings to buy more corals.

This is what I read....

"If you restrict the pump on the intake, that is when you're making the pump work harder and it will have a shorter life. Restricting the output is just mechanically adding head pressure."

So, this is saying that restricting the output would just reduce the return gph (e.g., the return gph would be different on a 36" tall tank than on a 21" tall tank using the same pump), but it wouldn't over-work the pump.

well i can increase the overflow. by lowerin the box to allow more water to drain out. but i noticed when i did that, it allows more water to fill the sump and cause a overflow when i turn the sump off.

my reeflo dart pump actually uses less electricity if you restrict it, At least thats what the manufacturer claims. If you increase your overflow rate why couldnt you just lower the water in the sump so it would catch the overflow during a power outage?