Upgrading 150 w MH to 250 w

Jessie

The socket is likely different if you're using DE lamps (I think SE lamps use mogul base for both 150 and 250w, but I could be wrong. If your 150w lamp uses a medium base you'll have to swap it out for a mogul socket). Also, check bulb dimensions to make sure that there is room for the new lamp in the space provided for the old lamp, and be careful of the additional heat that will be generated.

and if you are thinking of putting 250W over a 30G, I'd advise against it. You'll need a chiller for sure as the 250W will be blasting your tank with light and heat.

And with 250W over 30G, you'll be restricting yourself to higher light corals due the amount of light that will be going into the tank.

IMO, the 150W is a nice light for that tank.

DISAGREE with some of that.

I run 2x 250w over my 75g. That wouldn't be so much larger than a 60g tnak as to negate the extra wattage. So to me a 35g tnak with a single 250w is perfect. See how I neatly put that into perspective?

I do not have heat issues. I have never had heat issues. The idea that a 250w MH would bake a 30g but 2x 250w would not bake a 75 is foreign to me. That's almost the same wattage per gallon. To counter act the heat, I run my fan cooled fixture above my tnak and not enclosed in a canopy. That way it can suck in fresh air and draw it across the bulbs before pushing it out the exhaust side. This keeps everything cool above the waterline.

With that being said, maybe I'm just lucky but I doubt it. If you put a 250w MH in an enclosed canopy I bet you'd be asking for troubles over a 30g tnak.

I think the most important thing to ask yourself is "what is my tnak for"? What do you want from it? If you plan to keep LPS, softies, mushrooms, zoa then 150 would be perfect. In fact a couple of T5 might even be better. Yet if you plan to keep a high end luxury SPS dominated tnak full of LE type acros (COUGH, COUGH like Callahan has decided to switch to) then maybe 250w would be perfect for accelerated growth.

Just my 2 bits.

edited due to fat fingered typing.. fixed.

Edited by caferacermike

The 150 should be plenty for LPS. CRM is right, putting a 250 in a canopy is a recipe for heating disaster. I took down my custom enclosed canopy with (2)250 MH over my 90g due to heat issues (4+ degree bump when MH were on even with 4 fans pulling air in/out).