Pods in my overflow

mcallahan

I've heard a lot about building a LR pile in your overflow to provide a safe home and breeding ground for pods.

My question is: How do the pods gets back into your tank? Do they crawl over the overflows or are people assuming they'll make it down the overflow pipe, through the skimmer and back through the return pump unscathed?

I dont have rubble in mine but one was loaded with bioballs for a time. I'd have to go with yes on this one mark. Reason being that I had my breeder mollies in my fuge for a time and when they had babies they would get out of the fuge travel through my filter pads (which is where your real media thrives) and get sucked up the return. Then I'd wake up to little black fishies hovering in fear at the water line. I'm sure some of them got shredded into fishy food however. If a baby molly can make it thats about a cm, then an itsy bitsy creeper can too. I also had Bob (brackish puffer) dissapear for about 6wks and reappear beside my return pump. He was 3" and made it down.

i asked once how pods get into your display tank from your sump and i got a few answers like, they are so small they are not affected by the impeller from the return pump. and another answer was, im not sure that they actually eat the pods, but the pods offspring which is a lot smaller and more likely to make it to your DT

on RC there is a guy that has sand 6" deep in his overflow to create another area like ur talkn about to breed pods and everything else. Helps with filtration also he says.since its wasted space anything in there will be fine, the pod i would imagine could travel back up the water to the DT and never go threw the return or overflow.

The main issue I think is my leopard wrasse. He eats anything frozen and pods while my mandarin pair wont eat anything but pods. They won't even chase after live brine jerking right in front of them

I think I'll add some rubble to my overflow

I used to have a bunch of pods in my display in my 90g they would fall over from the fuge, but i had 2 down pipes from my overflow one into a sock and one into the fuge and they both met in the middle by the return pump. so the pods would fall over the fuge side and go through the return. i had some big suckers since i didn't have anything in the tank that would eat them. but thats how they got into mine. and i dunno where Andy is been wondering myself, i haven't seen him in some time...

The main issue I think is my leopard wrasse. He eats anything frozen and pods while my mandarin pair wont eat anything but pods. They won't even chase after live brine jerking right in front of them

Buy a bag of live brine at aquadome, Poke some holes in the bag and hang it in the tank for long life. When you feed frozen brine add live in the mix. Your picky mandrin will pick at all of them. I had a pair swapped over to frozen in about 2 weeks. :yahoo::jump:

Buy a bag of live brine at aquadome, Poke some holes in the bag and hang it in the tank for long life. When you feed frozen brine add live in the mix. Your picky mandrin will pick at all of them. I had a pair swapped over to frozen in about 2 weeks. :yahoo::jump:

Interesting. My mandarins don't even pay attention to live brine right now. I poured a lot in the tank and there was several live brine jerking about right in front of them and they looked them over, and ignored them.

For $2 for a bag of brine, might as well give it a shot!