The Importance of Finding Nemo

Gonzobob

Tuesday evening as I made the rounds feeding the tanks I noticed that my female ocellaris was not out and eating. The male was feeding as normal (greedy Gus) and she had fed normally the day before. As I needed to head to work I did a quick but fairly thorough scan of the Solaris, sump and immediate floor areas but found nothing. Of course I’ve often been surprised how things can temporarily or permanently disappear even in a pico tank let alone a nano. A quick check of the usual suspects and locations revealed nothing. Both BTAs looked normal and were unlikely to have gotten the clown. I didn’t think my rhizo while a capable fish eater was big enough to have handled the 3” clown and wasn’t showing any signs of being ‘stuffed’. Alas, out of time I headed for work hoping that she was either hiding, or the clean up crew would up to the task till I got home.

This morning back at the house I was determined to solve the mystery. To be honest, I wouldn’t have been as determined if it had been a smaller fish but I was concerned that even with the efforts of my clean up crew a body that size could wreak havoc on my tank. Besides I still had faint hopes that all would work out well. Walking into the room the smell immediately dashed my hopes and I stared at the tank in mute horror!

But,,, everything looked normal. A quick look and smell, tank and sump, normal. Still nothing on the floor and the smell was more dead fish in water, not dead fish on carpet. (unfortunately between 3 years in salt water and 8-10 in freshwater I’m somewhat familiar with the difference) Crap! I decided it was just possible that a jumping fish might have made it from the Solana to my nem tank. With visions of dying mini carpets in mind I stepped around a pile of equipment and,,

Nothing, all was normal here as well. I stood perplexed, the wet fish death smell hanging in the air at odds with the mundane normalcy of both tanks. As I stood there, seconds ticking away the smell lent it’s own urgency to my thoughts.

Glug! What the … in a flash it was suddenly clear, as I lunged to pull the power on the ATO I could just make out the orange and white body lending it’s very essence to the ATO reservoir that had become a vat of death.

We may never know why ‘unnamed female ocellaris’ decided to end her life. Maybe she dreamed of one day returning to the great vistas of the tank of her birth. Maybe postpartum depression from watching batch after batch of eggs hatch only to become little protein snacks was too much for her. The only thing I do know is I’m going to put a lid on that **** ATO reservoir.

Sorry for your loss don't know what I would do if I lost one of my clowns? Happy little couple they are. I lost a blenny to a daring jump when I forgot to put the top glass back on the tank before work, learned my lesson. It happens to a lot of people.

Three weeks ago I had my osc clown jump the pico at work, the day after he started hosting my mushrooms and developed a personality. Three days later one of my clarkii clowns in my 90g at home jumped after having been in their for 8 months. No clue why these clowns are jumping, but cover your tanks!