What type of clowns?

Melissa

OK, I should have posted this here first instead of trying to think for myself lol. I can't tell what types of clowns I have. I picked on up as a False perc off CL, and then asked Aquadome for another to match. Well, they are different (to me anyhow)t! What are they? Ignore the maroon. I took these pics when I was trying to get the Maroon. (Long gone btw) These aren't the best pics, so I apologize.

post-1346-012374200 1280790599_thumb.jpg

post-1346-017857600 1280790609_thumb.jpg

post-1346-047865400 1280790661_thumb.jpg

I'd say A. ocellaris also. The thin black border and the brownish cast to the orange bands usually are identified with A. ocellaris while the fish with wider and more richly black edging and bright orange are considered to be A. percula. To be correctly identified though I think fin ray counts need to be done but I for one am not going to bother with that. It's my understanding that the Black Peculas available are actually melanistic A. ocellaris.

• 2 weeks later...

Some of ya'al may have already seen this but here it is anyway. The current July/August issue of Coral has an article on designer clown fish. Included in the pictures are 4 different wild type A. ocellaris and 3 different A. percula. They show a lot of variation in both the amount of black and the intensity/shading of the orange in both species. At the end of the article they also show a Premnas biaculeatus (Maroon) X A. ocellaris hybrid.