sump size

Brandon

Big enough to fit your equipment is all that you need, that said having extra system capacity is a benefit and having space for a refugium or other goodies down there is always good. So you only need one that will fit your equipment, but I would recommend the largest standard sized tank that fits under your 55g. Standard sized tank just so that it's cheaper. If you're going with a premade sump of some sort, I'd get one with a lot of capacity.

Big enough to fit your equipment is all that you need, that said having extra system capacity is a benefit and having space for a refugium or other goodies down there is always good. So you only need one that will fit your equipment, but I would recommend the largest standard sized tank that fits under your 55g. Standard sized tank just so that it's cheaper. If you're going with a premade sump of some sort, I'd get one with a lot of capacity.

+1, bigger is better :P

Big enough to fit your equipment is all that you need,

-1. Bad advice.

You must account for water back siphon in the event of a power failure. If you only have a sump that can handle your equipment and nothing else, be prepared to flood your house.

Big enough to fit your equipment is all that you need,

-1. Bad advice.

You must account for water back siphon in the event of a power failure. If you only have a sump that can handle your equipment and nothing else, be prepared to flood your house.

Well I didn't mean ignore that.... It's a good point though.

all good advice, 1.Bigger is better 2. enough room for equipment 3. enough room for syphon back (although as long as you dont put your return deep into the tank there wont be much syphon back). I always keep my returns as high as possible to eliminate this threat. You can test it once you have the sump installed, just turn off all the equipment and watch the water rise in the sump. If it get to say within 2" of the top of the sump thats cuttn it close. I prefer to have like atleast 3" from top just incase. Also, i'd make just enough room for skimmer to fit and the biggest area to be the refugium, the return side doesnt have to be that big either. Just enough room for the pump.