Lemon peel Damsel

cardsfan12

Soooo, I knowingly made the most common rookie mistake of getting a damsel as my first fish. I'm not sure if it makes it better or worse because I knew it was a bad ideal from the get go. Anyway, I have decided to try and capture him and was wondering two things: 1. Is there anyone that would be willing to trade anything for him. I don't expect much, maybe a small frag or something. 2. What methods of capture do you suggest? I hate to get rid of him because it's a pretty fish, but he is too aggressive for some of the fish I want to put in the tank.

Garbage can, hose, pump, clean hand.

Drain the water from the tank into the can, remove the fish, refill tank with hose attached to pump.

I guarantee results with this method, I will challenge any other method.

nuff said.

I don't think this one will work for me. I don't have enough trash cans to hold 140 gallons. Thanks for the ideals though, I'll keep it in mind for my smaller tank.

Shotgun!? :fish:

There was a thread last week about catching a Dragon goby that had some good suggestions and ideas on trapping it

It's all yours unless someone else jumps in with a trade for it. I'm just not sure how long it will take me to capture him. I live in Killeen. No promises, but I could maybe meet you at river city sometime after I catch him. I'll keep you posted.

• 5 weeks later...

I caught about 8 damsels out of my tank a few years ago using a fish trap built by Brian at Kingfish. Took a couple of hours of sitting at the tank to catch each fish, but eventually I got them all. Maybe Brian still has the trap around if you give him a call. Trap didn't work when fastened to the brace as intended. I had to stand on stool, hold trap with one hand and suspend to midtank level in the water, and use the other hand to operate the trap door. Obviously, the trap was baited and trapping attempt was at feeding time, so if a fish wanted to eat he had to go in the trap. Took a couple of days before I got the first fish, but then started they got used to the trap and catching them was a breeze.

If this doesn't work for you then you have to drain. A 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank should do it, as you only need to drain probably about 70% or so, and 140 isn't actually holding 140. TSC or McCoys has them, and I have always been able to return them and get a refund if the use was short (less than 5 days) and I took the time to clean them out.

I caught about 8 damsels out of my tank a few years ago using a fish trap built by Brian at Kingfish. Took a couple of hours of sitting at the tank to catch each fish, but eventually I got them all. Maybe Brian still has the trap around if you give him a call. Trap didn't work when fastened to the brace as intended. I had to stand on stool, hold trap with one hand and suspend to midtank level in the water, and use the other hand to operate the trap door. Obviously, the trap was baited and trapping attempt was at feeding time, so if a fish wanted to eat he had to go in the trap. Took a couple of days before I got the first fish, but then started they got used to the trap and catching them was a breeze.

If this doesn't work for you then you have to drain. A 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank should do it, as you only need to drain probably about 70% or so, and 140 isn't actually holding 140. TSC or McCoys has them, and I have always been able to return them and get a refund if the use was short (less than 5 days) and I took the time to clean them out.

What is King a fish? Is that a LFS?

Ok so I've been using the improvised trap made out of a 2 liter bottle. It seems to be working great for everyfish but that ******* lemon peel damsel.......Oh god, as I was typing this he finally went to the mouth of the trap and looked as if he would enter,but then quickly retreated back to the rocks. Oh well maybe in another day or so I'll have good news to report.

hey man i'll take him off your hands if you manage to grab him

Timfish called shotgun on it a while back. That is unless you ahve a trade. small frag of zoes or anything I wouldn't expect much for this guy. Not to say it's not a pretty fish, but, well it's a damsel and allot of people don't like them.

Ok so I've been using the improvised trap made out of a 2 liter bottle. It seems to be working great for everyfish but that ******* lemon peel damsel.......Oh god, as I was typing this he finally went to the mouth of the trap and looked as if he would enter,but then quickly retreated back to the rocks. Oh well maybe in another day or so I'll have good news to report.

Wow, I hadn't realized that this site would automatically sensor certain words. Thats pretty cool. I'll reframe from using naughty words such as ******* from now on. Along with **** and **** and who could forget about the imfamous**********-*****-**(my personal favorite).