smelly RO/DI

hammondegge

TDS after the membrane is 15ppm and after the DI is 0ppm. i changed the particle filter and the carbon block. still smells. doesnt really taste bad if you hold your nose and i am sure the fish dont mind smelling fishy, but i would like to drink the non fishy smelling water. the first two filters did not smell so i assume that it must be the Resin cannister. has anyone experienced this before?

I know that my Culligan one has a rediment of adding a tablespoon or two of bleach, or in our case hydrogen peroxide to each canister, run a little, then rinse out, etc... Maybe you are having a "mold problem". Total guess?

The carbon technically should have taken out any odor so I'll assume the culprit is after the sediment block and carbon. Check the actual RO membrane as you're getting a little elevated TDS reading after it and then smell the DI I guess lol.

Really check your DI resin, if you have any, if it is smelly. I had the exact same problem and it turned out to be the DI. I don't know how bacteria would be able to colonize in such a mineral depleted area but science continues to amaze us confused2.gif

Russ from BuckeyeFieldSupply told me the same. he says that it has no effect on the purity of the water. i am replacing the DI resin anyhow. I also mentioned that i used the water for drinking water. Russ said that he would not advise this, that i should tap the unit before the DI for the drinking water. I looked into it and found out that DI is fairly corrosive (i imagine that is due to the absence of minerals). It is believed to be potentially damaging to tooth enamel. It sounds a little odd that RO would be much different at 15ppm but i'm no authority. i checked the PH of the DI and it is 9.89. i thought it would be nuetral (definitly not a scientist). i havent tapped the RO yet so i cant test the Ph. What do you know about all of this Dustin?

I recommend BuckeyeFieldSupply highly for all your RO/DI needs and they carry Dow and Mag Flake.

Did it kinda smell like dead fish? That is what my DI smelled like and I was puzzled, but eventually found it was the DI that needed to be replaced. The pH coming out of the RO-DI unit is very deficient in dissolved gases like oxygen and carbon dioxide, so the pH is kinda funny and it has no buffering capacity. I've tried a little experiment that you might want to try also: I took fresh water from the unit and put in on top of one of our lab magnetic stirrers. I put a stir bar in and let it stir the water so hard that it aerated the water very quickly. I had a pH meter in the water continually testing the pH and what I saw was a gradual decrease in pH pretty much down to 7. You may or may not observe the same results but you could try it to see if you do.

With RO-DI fresh filter material you may be able to get a very close pH of 7 but to get even more pure you would have to go distilled, not really economical or healthy for reef use or drinking.