Raw White Rice for Solid Carbon Dosing

Will

Sorry, while there may often be a homebrew approach to almost anything/everything - this is no more a miracle/discovery than some dude making a thread about his $5 used-to-be-a-bottle-but-now-it's-a-protein-skimmer answer to everyone's 'overpriced cone skimmers.'

(referring to the RC link, not this thread)

That being said.. do I feel like maybe I wasted any money, or could have been cheaper about my personal nitrate reactor?

No way! :) I feel like I got the best of both worlds, and achieved a very quality solution for a very affordable price.. I've got a Two Little Fishies PhosBan 550 reactor & one liter of Warner Marine ekoBAK pellets - both of which I feel are quality products from brands I trust. This combo will cost the average person about $120 + S/H, and will allow for anywhere between 12-18 months of handling a heavily stocked 150-200gal aquarium.

Besides the fact that it's a set & forget solution that I don't have to truly monitor or maintenance.. I do it because I don't want to mess with anything in my system on the regular. The more things I can set up and have maintain themselves, be automated, or just help me keep my hands out of the tank - the better! Throwing rice in a baggie, cleaning it out and replacing it at least 1-2x a week would have never been an option I'd consider, but for any who ARE considering it, please allow for more time & many more guinea pigs to pass by before you put it to use.

Finally, for the sake of people on the board here giving this a shot: PLEASE be aware that rice is no different from a piece of produce in the sense that farmers are using chemicals/pesticides on their crops. I would never personally eat rice/produce that wasn't well washed, and I typically opt for organic sources in the first place. I would strongly suggest that if this were to be put to the test, you were to wash your rice very well (if you don't wash the rice you cook & eat already, shame on you!) and hopefully use an organic crop.

I just want to make sure that everyone knows that i am not advising that you put rice in your tank, i just find this experiment very interesting. and it if works it could be an option (as far as dosing your tank every day with vodka or sugar).

I am presently switching from vodka to Vertex bio pellets. so i am not personally going to use rice, i just thought it was interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

here is a link to an updated post on RC, with no ill effects so far.

http://reefcentral.c...d.php?t=1878307

And Crab, the posed scientific paper is of rice husks not the actual white rice grain.

If you read the entire thread (12 pages, alot i know) you will find it very informative,

Still not recommending it thought . (i have 500ml of vertex pro pellets that i have to use first, and will not recommend it until i have used it)

Archived