Sodium Bicarbonate & Calcium hydroxide

Will

Yes use Mrs. Wages pickling lime. I used it for years. It worked great. I was able to get these 2 lb cans at the end of canning season at Walmart for $0.50 a can many years ago. I picked up 6 of them and they lasted me years. However if you need some, or are wanting to try it out, I have over 5g of Kalk I got from BRS that I can hook you up with to sample the product. (I work over at HRC so it won't be hard for you to get it from me)

I've not used regular baking soda. I've heard it is not as well refined as lab grade and that it may contain phosphates and other non harmful to human, but grows algae like crazy stuff. I did remember years ago on other forums reading about a person that was trying to stabilize their PH swings using baking soda. I can't recall how it went, I just remember they were the only one I've heard saying that they used it.

This should help

Recipe #1, Part 2: The Alkalinity Part

Spread baking soda (594 grams or about 2 ¼ cups) on a baking tray and heat in an ordinary oven at 300°F for one hour to drive off water and carbon dioxide. Overheating is not a problem, either with higher temperatures or longer times. Dissolve the residual solid in enough water to make 1 gallon total. This dissolution may require a fair amount of mixing. Warming it speeds dissolution. This solution will contain about 1,900 meq/L of alkalinity (5,300 dKH). I prefer to use baked baking soda rather than washing soda in this recipe as baking soda from a grocery store is always food grade, while washing soda may not have the same purity requirements. Arm & Hammer brand is a fine choice. Be sure to NOT use baking powder. Baking powder is a different material that often has phosphate as a main ingredient.

Yes use Mrs. Wages pickling lime. I used it for years. It worked great. I was able to get these 2 lb cans at the end of canning season at Walmart for $0.50 a can many years ago. I picked up 6 of them and they lasted me years. However if you need some, or are wanting to try it out, I have over 5g of Kalk I got from BRS that I can hook you up with to sample the product. (I work over at HRC so it won't be hard for you to get it from me)

I've not used regular baking soda. I've heard it is not as well refined as lab grade and that it may contain phosphates and other non harmful to human, but grows algae like crazy stuff. I did remember years ago on other forums reading about a person that was trying to stabilize their PH swings using baking soda. I can't recall how it went, I just remember they were the only one I've heard saying that they used it.

i would love to try it, but do you mean 5 gal or 5 grams, as i dont think 5 grams will last very long