EverClear dosing = cyano

dapettit

I've been dosing Everclear in my 58 for well over 3 months. I liked the results so I started the procedure in our 150 gallon show tank.

I've only been dosing that tank for 7 weeks. Today I noticed a large amount of cyano. I four korallia 4's in the tank with a Mag 7 on the return. The tank is 3 years old and have never had a cyano problem. Could my dosing be causing this?

TIA,

Dave-

Yes, i read on RC that ethanol can cause a cyano (it is a bacteria) bloom. Sugar (im assuming sucrose) can be used with less of a chance of a cyano bloom. Im dosing vodka right now and have not had this issue, but from reading threads on RC it seems pretty common.

What are your p04 and nitrate levels

also i bet your C02 is up, try adding more aeration to your sump and/or check your protein skimmer.

You may also want to add in some beneficial bacteria that could compete with the cyano for nutrients (TLC products, Microbacter, ..........)

Skimmer is pulling out black gunk. The PO4 is high and NO3 is nill. I am runnig GFO in a reactor I was dosing to get the pH down so I can start using my ZEOvit additives. I'm only dosing 3 mL. I wonder if I should cut back or continue the dsoing through 3 days of darkness.

Dave-

Skimmer is pulling out black gunk. The PO4 is high and NO3 is nill. I am runnig GFO in a reactor I was dosing to get the pH down so I can start using my ZEOvit additives. I'm only dosing 3 mL. I wonder if I should cut back or continue the dsoing through 3 days of darkness.

Dave-

your tank is a 150 gal right?

What type of skimmer do you have?

Darkness will work, but i would up your O2 levels in the tank/reduce CO2

And 3ml is not that much for your water volume (wait that's 190 proof, so its essential the same thing a 6ml of vodka), that may be alot then.

Have you noticed any other bacterial buildup?

EuroReef RS180 and yes I have seen a build up of bacteria.

bertoni on RC replied:

Maybe. The effect might be temporary, though. How bad is the cyanobacteria? I'd drop back on the dose, and consider siphoning out whatever cyanobacteria is easy to get.

Dave-