UV Sterilizer

s_griffin

I am adding a uv sterilizer and am needing some advise please.

I purchased a 9 watt, the instruction say nothing about where to install it, except "do not place in water."

I tried adding it to the skimmer pump but created too much head and the skimmer did not make skimmate.

Suggestions? Greately appreciated.

Edited by s_griffin

. . . specific flow rate to work properly.

. . . buy a small pump and run it independently.

+1 I would do a small pump and have the supply from your main tank and return to your main tank. Flow rates are real critical to get the optimum kill rate to control parasites and take into consideration the aging of the bulb. Output will probably drop 30% over the THE 8 - 12 month life of the bulb. I think it's better to pull water from your main tank. My reasoning is that's where the larval parasites are hatching and finding host fish.

Thanks so much for the advice, I have added the uv sterilizer to the last stage of the sump. I did not want to slow down the return pump so I added a small pump to the sterilizer and am depositing back into the sump before returning to the tank. If this seems to work I will add tubing so it will dump into the tank instead of dumping into the sump.

Thanks again

Sherri