Keeping Genicanthus Angels

Derek

I PM'd you some much more thorough and enlightening reading material on the matter, but I'm still not sure of how open the ARC policy on outside links is, so I didn't post it here.

I've read enough about Genicanths at war with each other to decide against trying my hand at pairing them up, and probably even against mixing 2 kinds together. I don't know about a harem, but a mated pair can certainly be had, without having to buy 2 individual fish and hope for the best too! I would suggest going that route, as opposed to housing 2 together who hadn't ever seen eachother before, as it is technically a risk and they may fight more than get along. Just a word of advice - as it's entirely possible you bought 2 of them separately and they could wind up pairing up after all, I just wouldn't want to deal with the extra risk factor on a fish at that price :punk:

Good luck to you, Derek, I'm glad to see somebody around here appreciating the Genicanths ;)

Outside links to other information is permitted. A wiki/FAQ article on a particular subject is encouraged :angry:

The only links not permitted are links to external auctions of items you are trying to sell.

hey crab, i would like to read the genicanthus info if you could link it here please

gerek, I too love the genicanthids! my hope is to one day have a large tank with many different ones together

i have a bellus female in my home tank right now, and I had 2 female watanabe before the bellus, but they both just up and died with days of each other for completely unknown reasons

i had a lamarki at work before Ike hit and had her for ages, ...

definitely my fav family of fishes! cool.gif

Yeah, definitely good reads - and certainly goes to show that 'mileage may vary' when it comes to mixing & combining different fish.

I've always been a big fan of these, as sexual dimorphic species w/nice courting behavior in your captive system aren't the easiest to come across - and these are a great reef safe option for those interested in Angels but worried about their corals.