Red Slime Algae and my Skimmer

dweyant

I had an issue with some red slime algae, so based on Shane's recomendation I used Red Slime control.

I did a 15% water change tonight and turned my skimmer back on.

My skimmer is going crazy. I have it turned all the way back, and closed the air-valve (i.e. it is chocked back as much as it will go) and it is still spewing tons of water into the cup. Right now the water is just filling the cup and then running back into the sump.

Should I be capturing the water it is taking out? I'm afraid if I do that it is going to drain my tank :cool:? Or let it be and see if it calms down after a while?

Thanks,

-Dan

i belive that red slime remover is an oxidizer so it would cause your skimmer to go crazy, i would use the skimmer for only 12 hours a day for three days and do a water change as well

With your skimmer overflowing like that (wet), it's really not doing much in terms of skimming, so you might as well leave it on and wait for it to return to normal performance. You can let it drain back into the sump.

Do another large waterchange in a day or so if it keeps overflowing.