ASO kit

medi

I want to order an ASO kit so I can automate my ATO system. I plan on hooking this to the existing ATO reservoir that is currently in use, and then allowing my ATO to actually replenish my aquarium volume. The reason I am going to run it this way is that my ATO is what feeds my kalk reactor. I don't believe I could run my Rx with just the water pressure from my home and I don't want to run a booster pump. I am looking for recommendations on brand and the best way to run these systems. Also, has anyone ever heard of one of these things failing and flooding the house?

ASO or automatic shutoff valve is a valve that works together with a float switch and a RODI unit. Basically when the water level decreases and causes the float valve to go down it creates, I think, back pressure which in turn opens the ASO valve and automatically replenishes your ATO reservoir or your aquarium with RO water. Hopefully that helped explain it.

Actually I feel dumber now, thanks! blink.gif My only justification is I hadn't finished my coffee yet. Actually I do have some expierence with them. I have seen one not shut off completely so there is a very slow but steady drip. Having seen check valves, float valves and automatic shutoff valves for R/O filters all fail over the years I would either avoid using them or design a system which would deal with the flooding safely in the event of a failure. I very definitely do not like a system where a potential equipment failure could dilute the salt water in an aquarium system or dump a bunch of kalkwasser into a system pushing up the pH dangeroulsy high! I've seen this happen, not a pretty sight and the only reason we didn't lose everything was by pouring vinegar in to drop the pH. Turning a reef tank into a chemistry experiement is not the best way to learn how to do something.