Pictures of....

KeeperOfTheZoo

Keeping mind I'm limited to the camera on my droid right now, here are a couple shots of odd things growing in the tanks. I also noticed what I'm pretty sure is a white ball anemone growing in a cave on the underside of one of my rocks last night. It's a rock with a lot of holes so I can't see the base/mouth of the critter, but based on the tentacles with the little balls at the end I'm pretty sure my ID is correct. Most of what I've read about these guys sounds pretty negative. It's in a spot where there are no corals close by (at least for now), how bad is it if I just leave it?

Ok... pictures... I would LOVE to know what this thing is and I can not get a decent picture for anything. If you look in the center of the red circle that's what I'm trying to ID. This is its closed position. When it opens it pulls away from the rock and there are gills (that look like a air filter!) underneath. It splits open along the middle of the dark line you can see in the picture. It only opens its self up at night and it's fairly sensitive to bright light being shined on it. I've caught it partially open during the day a couple times but when I walk past the tank it quickly clamps shut. The external structure is hard (yea, I poked it). I was kinda leaning towards it being some sort of bivalve, but I'm really not sure.

post-1140-073041200 1275074841_thumb.jpg

These next pictures are of what I assume is a sponge growing in my sump. The pattern is so neat I thought I'd share. The largest with the internal structure that is so defined is a bit larger than the size of an old fashioned half dollar. I think the smaller ones are the same thing, not sure yet. And of course the spirorbid worms are trying to take over the sump. Wow are they prolific.

post-1140-077930800 1275074942_thumb.jpg

post-1140-004542300 1275075108_thumb.jpg

post-1140-030189400 1275075154_thumb.jpg

On the ball anemone that's a personal choice. I've got some and they've never seemed to harm anything. When I first saw them I did quite a bit of research and heard mostly bad things. After a bit of reading I decided (here's the judgment call) that there didn't seem to be any data to support all the negative comments. The more I read the more it seemed that a lot of the people posting had a pretty much 'shoot on sight' attitude towards anything not definitively proven to be harmless.

Just my 2 cents

Your description of "air filter" like gills kinda reminds me of the syphon pores of Placospongia sp. that will close up when disturbed. Your picture doesn't look at all like what I've seen though. Sprung has a picture of one in "invertabrates, A Quick Reference Guide" pg 32.

• 3 weeks later...

I never did figure out what it is. Still in it's spot, still comes out at night to filter feed. Maybe some kind of bivalve? I dunno! It's weird for sure.

August, the white spots are spiorbid (sp?) worms. Little fan worms. They are all over my sump and were all over the fuge till I cleaned them out. I felt so bad taking down the 10g fuge and killing them all. :D A few of the larger ones might be limpets, I have quite a few of those too.