Acan tips

rainbody

I've got several acans and was trying to get some more info on them as too light levels. Some say it doesn't matter others say low light. I'm target feeding but still looking for optimal growth rate. I'm running 3 150w HQIs and 4 96w actinics with the acans at a depth of 14-20 inches.

I guess people have been giving you different answers because of how there tanks are set up. I have tried a couple of different light combination and placements. Acan are willing to accept high, low and meduim lighting, but i have had my best results with high indirect light but low in the tank. When i used power compact bulbs i had it up midway up a breeder tank(10" away from the light) and they would expand and look very fluffy with good color. This was under a 50/50 bulb. Then i moved it under my actinic bulbs at the same height, in the same tank. it became even fluffier. I think it was expanding to filter feed because of the lack of light. When i got my Metal Halide fixture(250wHQIw/2x96w actinics) i moved it to the side of the tank at the same height! It wasn't as fluffy and it started losing color.(still healthy though) Then i switched to a bigger tank with 2x250 MH"s and put in on the sand bed(19" down) and to the side. they now have there color back and are not overly fluffy! I now have new heads on two different types of acans.

post-1245-030466000 1274972634_thumb.jpg

Most of your rainbow acans that you'll find are found naturally in lower-lit areas along the reef. I've kept all of my Acans colors pretty well in a shaded area of my tank. One thing you've got to understand, is that your Acans are most likely to change colors in your tank than not. Lighting plays a large role, but parameters, and feeding also play a rather large role in color.