Mag12 is tripping GFCI

mojo

Monday night I went to see the Toadies. Great concert! But when I returned home at whatever hour that was, the tank was dead silent. We had a severe storm Sunday night, but nothing else in the house was without power. I was in no mood to problem solve, so I brought a couple of heavy duty extension cords to get me through the night, and the equipment was plugged into a non-GFCI outlet.

Last evening when I got home from work I figured out that my Mag12 closed loop pump that I had just removed a few days ago and cleaned in dilute muriatic acid was tripping the GFI outlet. I can't see any leaks or obvious damage to the pump, but something's causing it to trip the GFI? Any suggestions? In the meantime, I'm foolishly keeping the pump running via the extension cord until I figure out what to do.

Not a true "emergency" although I don't like bypassing the GFCI.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

It's tripping the GFCI because current is leaking out somewhere (mags are warranteed for 2 years or possibly lifetime). STOP using the pump.

Call incoming...

Monday night I went to see the Toadies. Great concert! But when I returned home at whatever hour that was, the tank was dead silent. We had a severe storm Sunday night, but nothing else in the house was without power. I was in no mood to problem solve, so I brought a couple of heavy duty extension cords to get me through the night, and the equipment was plugged into a non-GFCI outlet.

Last evening when I got home from work I figured out that my Mag12 closed loop pump that I had just removed a few days ago and cleaned in dilute muriatic acid was tripping the GFI outlet. I can't see any leaks or obvious damage to the pump, but something's causing it to trip the GFI? Any suggestions? In the meantime, I'm foolishly keeping the pump running via the extension cord until I figure out what to do.

Not a true "emergency" although I don't like bypassing the GFCI.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Just as an afterward, the electricity leached into the tank killed all three large turbo snails in Mike's tank. If ANYTHING is tripping a GFCI in your tank, unplug it and assume it is leaking electricity.