Summer trip

DaJMasta

I've got a 24G Nano Cube and a 7.5G tank plumbed to a 5.5G sump. I had thought originally that I would spend about two weeks back at home and get someone to watch over/feed my tanks while I'm away - that way I could do a water change before and after and should be able to coast along. I figured feeding some food every few days would be plenty to keep things going and a checkup on the critters and equipment on a similar basis could keep track of the basis. I don't have anything in either tank that would totally nuke it if it died (though the ammonia sort of always has the potential in a tank this small) and neither is fully stocked - that'll happen after I get back. It was a bit of a risky plan, but I figured it would be fine with just asking a friend to watch over the tanks and pay them something in return.

Now here's the problem: I just got an offer that I'm taking that puts the total time away from austin at about 4-4.5 weeks - a bit too long for no water change. :lol: So I have a quandary, how should I keep my tanks happy while I'm out of town? I will be moving into a new place in the time before I leave on my trip and won't have a roommate to look after things. There's still the option of asking someone to fill in, but once water changes are involved there's a lot more to have to teach(using a refractometer, waiting for it to mix and heat, doing the change, etc.). I can no longer just get away with 'look around to see if everything's alive and give them the food in this bag each time you visit'.... so what are my other options? I know there are tank sitting services, but would they be cost prohibitive for me (I'm a grad student with a small income), would I be able to train someone to do the more complicated work or have some way to check up on things myself? Is getting a large (50G or more) bucket and making it a temporary tank (lights, heater, powerheads, livestock) and just letting it be for the time I'm away an option? I certainly want someone to come and check up on things, but I don't think I can afford anything that's more than a visit every couple days. At the moment I don't have to dose anything to keep up with the needs of the corals and I've been doing quite well in terms of nitrate levels in both tanks. Each tank has an ATO with a large capacity bucket to drink from and uses timed lights, neither uses a skimmer. I won't be adding any more livestock to the tanks than what's in them now and neither is at full capacity.

Any ideas on how best to keep the tanks going while I'm away?

That's true, it's not an all-or nothing setup in terms of visits, one visit could be affordable if I have some help from a friend to do the rest.

The new place is just north of the split between lamar and guadeloupe, further from the fish stores but closer to school.