Firefish MIA

labradorduck

My firefish has always been an open water swimmer, he would find that niche between my two mountains of live rock and hang out there all day until feeding or bedtime.

The other day I noticed him sleeping in the corner of the tank when the lights went off. Normally he would sleep in the coral head.

Didn't think too much about it, but the next day I noticed some of my hermits had died.

Ok, check water, everything I tested was good. Performed my weekly water change the next day and retested. Everything where it has been since forever.

Then I see this small (1") hairy crab in my tank. I didn't remember inviting any crabs, but I had some newer live rock and figured he was a hitchhiker.

Is there any chance that this crab is the reason my hermits are dead and my firefish is missing? I picked out the rock I saw him on and dropped him in my water bucket. He didn't care for the light too much, so it was too hard to get a picture. Best image I can find says Mithrax, but not sure.

Any thoughts? Where would the body of the firefish be?

I doubt the crab took down your firefish. Now if your firefish died, the crab thanks you for dinner as he'd be right there to clean him up

if it is the type of crab you ID'd to be, I wouldn't worry about him too much. He's a good member of your cleanup crew.

Your firefish could be anywhere. If he died, your cleanup crew probably did it's job and ate him.

Your firefish also could have found a new home that you can't see, or he could have jumped out of your tank (and died)

Gotta buck Mark and side with Dave on this one. I had a hairy hitchhiker crab that size once - he took out three small fish and a fire shrimp before I finally caught him.

There's a great crab id page over at Chuck's Addiction that might help you get a proper id on the guy.

Firefish showed up again (i saw a post on how they can hide for weeks).

I looked up the crab on Chuck's Addiction(and several other sites), it does look more like the Gorilla crab, but hard to tell for sure. Either way, I haven't lost any more hermits since he was removed.

Thanks to all for the leads.

What did reef keepers do before the internet?