Opinions on overflows

reefaddiction

So I currently don't have an overflow or sump, but am really thinking I want to set up something. My tank is not drilled and emptying it isn't really a feasable option.what are my best options? hob kind of scares me as far as power outages etc. are there other options/designs????

I think it is definitely worth it to do. I don't really trust HOB overflows. All it takes is a power outage or a slipped hose and your house is soaked.

Funny you ask as I just wrote about this the other day:

3 Pieces of Equipment You Should Never Use

You'll get tons of responses from people who say they've used one and have never had a problem, but as I said in the blog post, just because I can play with fire and not get burned doesn't mean I should keep doing it.

Yeah, the hob scares me. I was hoping someone had a miracle in their pocket today. How long of a project is it? What would I transfer everything to?

A rubbermaid trashcan or two would work. One for the rocks and one for the fish. Depending on how you get it done, it can probably take a few hours or a few days. If you get the overflow put in using silicon you have to wait 24 hours for it to cure.

I am running an overflow on my 135 setup. First I ran it as freshwater, and now as saltwater. It has been running for about a year with no problems.. Yes the power has gone out several times here. It is setup with fail safes to never overflow.. even when the power goes out..... and will continue to work when the power comes back on. All of my drain pipes are glued, my sump has enough room for draining water for when the power goes out, and my return power heads have vent holes drilled to stop any suction to prevent back-flow. It is not rocket science and I think that everyone that has had trouble with one just has not had the patience to set one up properly.

Drilling the tank will be a much nicer setup though. You better make sure the tank is not tempered though. If I ever have to drain my tank for some reason I will most likely drill it. I didn't drill mine to begin with because the overflow option was easier to pull off for me.

Ditto what Jake said. Set up correctly an overflow can not flood. Mechanical errors can always happen drilled tank or not. I've been running my overflow for about 6 months now, no problems except it does loose siphon at times and I want more flow. Both issues will be fixed by adding an aqualifter pump to a bigger overflow box.

Ditto what Jake said. Set up correctly an overflow can not flood. Mechanical errors can always happen drilled tank or not. I've been running my overflow for about 6 months now, no problems except it does loose siphon at times and I want more flow. Both issues will be fixed by adding an aqualifter pump to a bigger overflow box.

that's what my friend said two. He threw his out after 2 floods, including an aqualifter, professional installation, etc.

I still laugh whenever people say, "just add X to it and it will work fine". That's like buying a new car and being told it has a problem and you have to buy add on things to make it work right.

I had an overflow with a lift pump, but now I have a different one. I see no way that it will ever loose siphon, even when the flow stops. I also have a Max fill line on my sump so I know that there is enough room in there for when the power goes out or when I kill my pumps to feed. On the power heads from the return I have drilled holes above the water line to stop backflow when the pump is turned off. With these fail safes I see no way it can or will flood. The only thing that could possibly happen is something getting caught in the overflow tube and stopping it up. There is as much chance of that happening as there would be on a drilled tank... which is like 1%. To each their own though. :hmm: