cloudy water?!?

Jakedoza

so... my tank has been up and running for about 2 months now. All of the nitrogen levels are fine and the salinity is at 1.023. Calcium is off the charts, but then again I do not have any corals in the tank yet. I have about 18 hermits and 9 Mexican turbo snails with 3 blue/green chromis in the tank (135Gal). I noticed today that the water seems to have tiny particles in it, almost like very tiny bubbles making the water look cloudy. Anyone have any ideas or advise?

Jake,

I had a similar problem. It was driving me crazy. Robert Manning came by the house and I told him of my woes. He thought it was my calcium percipitating. I cut back the pump on the reactor and it went away. Not sure if you are using a reactor.

Dave-

I am not using a reactor...

After looking closer at the tank I have tiny creepy crawlies.. I see them all over the glass. They will move in different directions and crawl around. Too small to take a photo of. smaller than a grain of salt, but visible.

floating hydroids? do they have five little staks coming off a central white spec?

or could be a bacteria bloom, but with your calcium off the charts i would say that is could be calcium precipitate.

Some of 'dem bugs look kinda like small shrimp. I'm betting it's just one of cycles of stuff your tank is going through while it matures. I would take a wait and see position, they will probably disappear on thier own in a few weeks.

so everything that I have read about "white bugs crawling on reef aquarium glass" appears to be pod related and is a sign of a healthy tank.. Even the photos I've seen look pretty much the same.. I'm looking at buying more fish this Friday at RCA's First Friday sale. Any suggestions? I know I will be buying at least 3 more Chromis.

Your cloudy water could be either due to Calcium precipating though more likely is due to microbubbles from the return pump.

If you have a sump and return then turn it off for a hour or so and see if it goes away.