Refractometers

wayneb

Nearly crashed my tank- Was relying on the "cheap" plastic Red Sea Hydrometer for my salinity readings. Even after topping off a few times with RO water, the meter showed it was always between 1.023-1.025. Mixed up some new saltwater to do a water change and had 3-4 readings of 1.025 so figured I was good to go. Luckily I decided first to get the tank water checked at our local Petco first. It read 1.018 (they used two different meters and both read the same). Got a sample of the salt water I mixed up and they read it as 1.020.

Can anyone suggest a good, mid price range refractometer and a source on where to buy it, either locally or on-line? I had talked to Shane and tried out a couple he used. I was going to have him order me one from his vendor, but he called yesterday and said the vendor now has a new "minimum order" amount and it would probably be a few weeks before he would be able to order from them.

Thanks, Wayneb

Ric, it was $75, but it is the same one (so I was told) that they use to make their checks.

Made my first check and it is very easy to use and read, and for an old f**t like me that was

important.

wayne

After I got my refractometer I couldn't believe that people did it any other way, its so precise. My red sea hydrometer was way off, people should be careful with those.