need some help

polarbear

So since I had to give up my 29 gallon tank and had to put my 120 gallon tank on hold becuase the landlord doesnt want a fish tank in the house, I have decided to make a tiny pico saltwater tank for the kitchen. This way its on the counter top and cant leak on the wooden floors. Im looking to see if anyone has anything they can spare as far as a every small pump and lights. I would like a light like the one below. Im going to put a small refeguim under the sink so i was thinking of maybe a pump from a 8 gallon biocube or another type of small tank would work good. I know that some of you are thinking why am I doing this, well, I cant stop thinking about not having a tank to take care of. I love the saltwater trade a lot and really want something in the house. With this small tank I could put a small clown goby and maybe a shrimp in it along with some zoas and other small corals that dont take much light. Any suggestions will be helpful. thanks for taking the time to read the post.

lg_27289_36965_aquarium.jpg

So since I had to give up my 29 gallon tank and had to put my 120 gallon tank on hold becuase the landlord doesnt want a fish tank in the house, I have decided to make a tiny pico saltwater tank for the kitchen. This way its on the counter top and cant leak on the wooden floors. Im looking to see if anyone has anything they can spare as far as a every small pump and lights. I would like a light like the one below. Im going to put a small refeguim under the sink so i was thinking of maybe a pump from a 8 gallon biocube or another type of small tank would work good. I know that some of you are thinking why am I doing this, well, I cant stop thinking about not having a tank to take care of. I love the saltwater trade a lot and really want something in the house. With this small tank I could put a small clown goby and maybe a shrimp in it along with some zoas and other small corals that dont take much light. Any suggestions will be helpful. thanks for taking the time to read the post.

lg_27289_36965_aquarium.jpg

They have this exact pico, including light, at AquaDome for about $40. I just bought one on the marine depot group order. One of my office mates bought the same one last week and has it set up on his desk. Nice little aquarium.

That pico should come with a basic filter, as do most of its competitors. For a fuge I would consider looking into getting an AC50/AC70 filter and modding it into a fuge - saves you the work for the overflow and all that but keeps the desktop only footprint.

Don't know if you have a tank already, but a BC12 would probably be a good option on the large end, I've got a 7.5G built with a Mr. Aqua tank from fosters and smith (or was it marine depot...) and they have small sized bow front, rectangle, and cube aquariums that are rimless and the shipping seems fairly reasonable.

Those are all spending money options though, which isn't always the best.

thanks to everyone that has offered to help me out. So although I like the pico tanks that you can buy at the store, I cant leave it at that. I mean I spent money on an all in one biocube and ended up changeing everything on it. So I am going to do the same thing here. I already have 2 one gallon desk top acrylic tanks that I am going to use. I want to hook both of them together and have one as the main tank and the other as a refugium. Yes refugium on a 1 gallon tank. I know some are thinking why put one on a tank this size. Well, I like the macro algae and live rock concept. Below is my idea that I drew up on the paint program. I will be taking live rock rubble, sand, water, macro algae, polyp/zoas, and mushrooms from the tank that my brother is holding. I am thining about putting a cleaner shrimp and clown goby in the tank as well. Another thing that I have been thinking about is putting this tank in the garage for my own enjoyment. I know it will get to hot out there but I am going to be getting one of those dorm room refrigerators and was thinking about drilling holes in the top to plump me in a home made chiller/beer chiller. I know this seems like a lot but i hope it all works out. Thanks again for everything.

post-792-12727261691833_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to Derry I now have a mini-jet 404 to use on the up coming pico tank build.

Now all I need is a light pendant. Does anyone have an extra they can spare laying around? nothing fancy just something to use on the tank so that I can keep zoas/polyps alive.