Getting Coraline Out Of Skimmer

Derek

I have a Euro Reef RS 80. The main canister of the skimmer is getting full of coraline. I am concerned that it may be hindering efficiency. The coraline goes up to the joint between the cup and the canister.

I use diluted HCL acid (muratic) you can get it at the pool store. Eats right though it in seconds.

Ah sweet. Can I just run the skimmer of a bucket full of it? How would I neutralize the acid before putting it back in my tank?

meh, just upgrade and get a new one! Easiest cleaning schedule ever!

I think that may be an option. I ordered a DSA Neo 185 today. :) I had a good day so I treated myself.

I might have some white vinegar in the house. I'll check. That sounds much more friendly than acid.

muriatic acid isn't a strong acid so you can use it safely. Vinegar is easier to find tho, just got to HEB and it's like 50 cents for a gallon.

+1 on white vinegar. I just cleaned my AquaC Remora last weekend by soaking it in Vinegar. Diluted for the skimmer body and full strength for the pump. The Coraline came off with a soft toothbrush! I am now having to empty the cup daily. I also noticed after the thorough cleaning that the skimmate is extra stinky sick.png

muratic acid is a very strong acid mcallahan. What is your criteria for strong? Sulfuric? hehe Derek vinegar is a a weak acid. I also have a ton of muratic if you want a bottle I can leave it on my porch and you can come pick it up when its convenient for you.

muratic acid is a very strong acid mcallahan. What is your criteria for strong? Sulfuric? hehe Derek vinegar is a a weak acid. I also have a ton of muratic if you want a bottle I can leave it on my porch and you can come pick it up when its convenient for you.

yep, you are right, I stand corrected.

I may have to take some. We can do that when the Dr Smith and Foster order comes in.

yep, you are right, I stand corrected.

If you want to do another episode on cleaning skimmers you're welcome to borrow mine. It has two years of coraline growth on it.