200g tank in Georgetown

olaggie01

Hi everyone. My wife and I are completing a new house in Georgetown, and we have had an additional casita (office/room) built on the back side of the house. The foundation has been poured and the frames are going up this week. I have posted the plans for the casita. My thought is to put a 200g+ tank on the far right wall and have the sump/equipment in the wardrobe area.

I have the opportunity to put some plumbing in the wall studs before the drywall goes in. My thought is to run 2 x 1" lines from the wardrobe to the bedroom area and a 1" line from the wardrobe to the sink area for RO/DI.

Anyone have any other thoughts on this?

I plan on having a remote sump with an external pump in the wardrobe. I will need to pitch the drain a bit from the bedroom to the wardrobe, correct?

casita_plans.jpg

Very Cool!

Is there any way to flip the "wardrobe" and "bath" area. I think you would be a lot happier with the bath on the same wall as the display tank and give you a lot more options.

Since framing hasn't started, this should be doable, no?

-t

Very Cool!

Is there any way to flip the "wardrobe" and "bath" area. I think you would be a lot happier with the bath on the same wall as the display tank and give you a lot more options.

Since framing hasn't started, this should be doable, no?

-t

Good point, but actually there is a reason that the bath is on that side. I took some pictures, but essentially the casita will face the courtyard of the house and eventual pool. We wanted a bath for the pool and have it close to the entrance of the casita so that people didn't have to trek through it while wet. Also, they started framing already (as you'll see in the pictures).

Here are some pictures of the structure (it isn't leaning, but I might have been)

5a16752d.jpg

Wall where tank will go and potential PVC pipes

1c5a3e84.jpg

Sink plumbing (I will try and hook up my RO/DI line and maybe a water change drain to this area

5368ecfd.jpg

Hi Chris,

I have a suggestion for the plumbing if you are going to run a remote sump. Add 2 - 1.25 inch pitched drain lines to the sump below the tank line (~30") in the room were the tank sits and above the sump line in the closet (as high above the sump line without sacrificing to much pitch). Add 2 - 3/4" or 1" for return lines -- these can run low and at any angle. You may not choose to use both returns (two return pumps) but may if you decide on a chiller. Also, think redundancy in case of failure. Also, two overflows is almost a must for a large tank. Just my humble opinion.

Chris:

Please - I hope you are concidering adding two dedicated 115v electric circuits from the circuit breaker box to the tank area with both going through GFI breakers. Easy to do it now then when the walls are up and plastered.

wayneb

Chris:

Please - I hope you are concidering adding two dedicated 115v electric circuits from the circuit breaker box to the tank area with both going through GFI breakers. Easy to do it now then when the walls are up and plastered.

wayneb

Thanks for the tip Wayne. I'm meeting the electrician today and we will discuss those options.

Hi Chris,

I have a suggestion for the plumbing if you are going to run a remote sump. Add 2 - 1.25 inch pitched drain lines to the sump below the tank line (~30") in the room were the tank sits and above the sump line in the closet (as high above the sump line without sacrificing to much pitch). Add 2 - 3/4" or 1" for return lines -- these can run low and at any angle. You may not choose to use both returns (two return pumps) but may if you decide on a chiller. Also, think redundancy in case of failure. Also, two overflows is almost a must for a large tank. Just my humble opinion.

Thanks for the tips Dale. I'm planning on a 1.5" drain (not sure if I can drill out the studs for 2 x 1.5"), 1 x 1" return and 1 x 1" electrical conduit (although this could be a back up drain or return in the future).

I'm not sure how large the tank will be, perhaps something along the lines of 36x36x24 or around that. Nothing huge, since I'm going to try and reuse most of my equipment that I have now.

Went by the house yesterday and installed an RO/DI feed and drain into the closet area. Unfortunately, running the return and water change drain up and over the attic won't work nor will drilling holes through the studs. I'm going to have my water change system in the closet and everything else under the tank. When I do a water change, I'll just set up a few hoses and pump it in/out of the tank that way. Same thing for RO/DI top-off.

• 3 months later...

I have my 225 plumbed from my dining room into my garage where all of my equipment and sump are located. You are welcome to come by and look if you like?

I'm also going to be selling my MH lights, ballasts if you are interested? 3 of them 14k and 20k at 400W each.

Dave

• 1 month later...

Small update. Now thinking about putting the tank in the closet. If you look at the first picture in this thread, you'll see the linen closet that backs up to the main closet. The opening in the main room is 55" W x 36" D x 100" T. The wall that the closet is on is 89" wide. If I remove the doors and put a 36" wide tank in the wall, do you think it will look right or does it need to be wider. The closet in the back is 59" x 78".

I'm thinking about removing the doors and the trim, removing the shelves and the drywall in the back. I was here when they were putting up the drywall, and I don't think there is any big problems in that wall. There is attic access above the tank, as you can see, so that might be good, or it might be bad. There is also a light wired to the wall, which I will probably keep and use for night viewing or something. I will need to run another breaker since I'm maxed out on the current breaker.

Office as it sits now.

P9238234.jpg

Linen closet:

P9238235.jpg

Light and attic access:

P9238238.jpg

Coat closet: (this wall shares the wall with the linen closet)

P9238236.jpg

Closet again. I have 2 - 35g water storage barrels in the closet now. Still on top of my old 120 stand. I will re-arrange these and put the sump on the ground against that back wall.

P9238237.jpg

Here are some more pictures with the proposed tank drawn out on the wall. I could move it to the right by an inch or two if that would make construction easier, but I don't want to move it too much since it is already a little off center on that wall. I'll have to run it by my wife on Sun., but perhaps I could start on the demo next weekend. Still need to figure out what depth I can go. 36" at least, but I don't want it to protrude into the other closet too much. I'll have to figure out the ventilation as well. I think I could put an exhaust fan to the attic or to the outside.

Height to the bottom of the tank will be 44". Tank drawn out is 24" high.

P9238244.jpg

P9238245.jpg

Huh? I thought this casita was just built? Why didn't you make plans to include your tank when this was being built. Are you talking about demoing your casita that was just built?

Yup. Didn't think about it when it was being built. No big deal. Small amount of demo.

• 2 weeks later...

Wife didn't go for the in-wall plans so it's back to the drawing board. Getting quotes on the tank and stand. Looking to put the overflow in the center with a pair of tunze overflows on the side to hide the pumps. Anyone have any other ideas?

Here are a couple of pictures of what I'm thinking. One is from D2mini's tank and the other is from Mantis' tank.

overflow_vortech.jpg

overflow1.jpg

In the mean time, here are some pictures of my 40g.